Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a question about projects on single circular needles. I am jus about ready to start learning how to use them and I see all the patterns use dpns or 2 circular needles. Or knitting two socks on one... Although I plan to use them for hats. I would at least like to get acquainted with them before my next project. So where can I find single circular needle patterns?

·
Registered
12,067 Posts
You can use a 16" circular to knit a hat, but you need double point needles or another circular to finish the decreases at the top of the hat because you'll have too few stitches for one circular. Unless you use a long circular and the magic loop method, which I've never tried.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
You can make just about any pattern written for DPNs on a single circular needle of the same size.

If you're making a hat, for instance, at the top where it decreases, you have a choice of using DPNs, or using the Magic Loop method. To do Magic Loop, you need a circular needle that's at least 29 inches long, and flexible enough to bend.

Here's a video from Youtube on Magic Loop - there are many more.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
If you have never used circular needles before, try working
back and forth like using straight needles, until you feel
comfortable using them. Then try joining your cast on carefully and just knit around in a circle for a while. Then
you can try something easy like a ribbed and stockinette stitch hat. While doing the hat you might want to try to learn magic loop. With the magic loop you can use one circular needle for the whole hat. Even the decreasing at the top. Good luck. There are magic loop videos on youtube.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Search for a knit-in-the-round cowl pattern to get the hang of circular knitting. THe hardest part of circular knitting is to keep your stitches untwisted on the first few rows-once twisted, always twisted. You tube can help with this. I knit my first couple of rows back and forth to avoid twisting,before joining to knit in the round.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can knit just about anything on circular needles that you would knit on straight needles. I carry them to knit in the car on long trips. The stitches won't pop off the needle if they get jolted. If you knit two sleeves at once, though, you have to have a marker so you remember if you're coming or going. I'm doing a back and front 'round together, but decided to try steeks for the armholes so I don't have to fuss with purling. It's interesting. I hope it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom