Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am making a crochet shrug - one of those that you fold in half and sew up the sides, leaving openings for armholes.
I'm not using the thread recommended and although I swatched and added more chain in the beginning it is still shorter than the pattern recommends.
Can anyone tell me how long the sides of the square need to be for a small woman?
I couldn't bear to have to undo what I have done! If it is! too small could I crochet a wide border all around?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I made a shrug last year and it came out hugh. About 58" across the back. I would say 36 to 42" would be right for a small women. I still use the shrug as it is lushious yarn and very warm. First thing I ever made that I kept for myself.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
Yes, w/crochet I'd think it'd be pretty easy to add rows to any of the 4 sides that need it.

If you can link us to the pattern, we might be able to offer more specific suggestions.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all those replies! I will keep going and meantime think up what kind of stitch I could do as a border.
The problem has happened because, as often happens, I'm using a thread that is much finer than that recommended - I have a lovely big stash!
The pattern is one I got from the net. It is called Hot Blue Shrug. You'll find it if you google it.

·
Premium Member
81,027 Posts
colourbug said:
... The pattern is one I got from the net. It is called Hot Blue Shrug. ...
I Raveled it: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hot-blue-shrug Not much warmth there!
Would maybe be good as a beach cover-up though ... as long as you're not trying to hide much! :)

Had you seen the review of it on Craftsy? "Before you start to crochet, make a gauge swatch and then measure the distance of your arms outstretched from elbow to elbow. Then measure the distance from the nape of you neck to your middle back. These should be the measurements you are looking for to customize this project."

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jessica-Jean said:
colourbug said:
... The pattern is one I got from the net. It is called Hot Blue Shrug. ...
I Raveled it: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/hot-blue-shrug Not much warmth there!
Would maybe be good as a beach cover-up though ... as long as you're not trying to hide much! :)

Had you seen the review of it on Craftsy? "Before you start to crochet, make a gauge swatch and then measure the distance of your arms outstretched from elbow to elbow. Then measure the distance from the nape of you neck to your middle back. These should be the measurements you are looking for to customize this project."
No. I hadn't seen it on ravelry - i found it on another site.
And thanks so much for the info, JJ. about measurements of the body! I'll have to get my son to surreptitiously find them for me !?

(They live where cold is never a problem! - in the Phiilipines) and I thought it would be a nice thing to throw on when nursing their baby-to-be!) I had asked on this site for suggestions of what to make and this is my first choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom