Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm knitting a baby blanket & the pattern calls to wyib sl 1, k1, I know how to do this but do I do the slip st knitwise or purlwise. No, the pattern does not indicate which way so I have to assume to do it knitwise, is the the correct way? I do this slip thing all the way across the row & the next row is my k5 (border) p1, k1 all the way to the end to the k5 border. Would this row make the difference in which way the slip is made??
Thanks for anyone who can help on this, Kathy

·
Registered
698 Posts
You know, this still confuses me at times. I'm interested in the help you receive. Some say to just generally purlwise unless it is specified otherwise. But, I'm pretty sure it was in Vogue, that they instructed to Purlwise the purl stitches and knitwise the knits. I hope help is on the way.LOL

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jessica Jean, since my next row after the slip st is p1, k1 do you really think it will make a difference? If the general rule is purlwise then I will probably go with that as that is what I was looking for, a guideline!!! Thanks. Kathy

·
Premium Member
81,203 Posts
If you do it contrary to the way the pattern wants - even though the bleeping pattern does NOT specify! - you may see twisted stitches. This may - or may not - make any difference in the finished item.

In my case, because I was knitting so tightly and was purling 'backwards' (as I'd been taught at age 8), and because I didn't know to work those backwards stitches through the back loops on the return row ... it resulted in my having to rip out and re-knit nearly fifty squares!!! All because of too many twisted stitches! A harmless little twist CAN make a difference, especially when multiplied! ;)

·
Registered
11,991 Posts
It will make it look different.
Am... I would slip purlwise.

·
Registered
27,103 Posts
If you do not slip purlwise, when you come to the stitch on the next row it will be backwards on the needle. When you work that stitch it will be twisted because it was on the needle backwards. Sometimes the twist is wanted to prevent a hold, but most times the twist is unwanted. That is why I slip purlwise unless slipping knitwise is stated in the pattern.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
listen to Jessica-Jean. slipping knitwise will mean on the return row you will have the stitch which was slipped turned so that it is not a natural way to use it. I do alot of the mosaic/slipstitch motifs and if I slip incorrectly frog frog.

·
Registered
32,687 Posts
if the yarn is being held in back, I would slip knitwise. You'll be able to see if you're getting the right result on the next row.

DO a swatch. That way you'll know for sure before beginning the item.

Or listen to Jessica. She's usually right on about everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom