Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks everyone for your input, while I am slightly confused, I will give it a try and see how it looks. I hate the bumpy edge on my baby blanket, but will leave it for now. I do appreciate everyone's input. I think what it boils down to is personal preference and since I am a new beginner, we'll see what it looks like. I'll make a swatch first because I am not starting over on the blanket, but will try it for the hooded scarf.

I've learned so much on this board. No one at home knits so I kind of stumble around on my home, but got a lot of help here. Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I slip the first stitch purlwise on a purl row, then the next row is a knit row, I would still slip the first stitch as if 2 pearl right? I like the slst purlwise, seem to be tighter, but I will try again see if I get it right this time. If you hear a big Yippee, you'll know I got it.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
baileysmom said:
Thanks everyone for your input, while I am slightly confused, I will give it a try and see how it looks. I hate the bumpy edge on my baby blanket, but will leave it for now. I do appreciate everyone's input. I think what it boils down to is personal preference and since I am a new beginner, we'll see what it looks like. I'll make a swatch first because I am not starting over on the blanket, but will try it for the hooded scarf.

I've learned so much on this board. No one at home knits so I kind of stumble around on my home, but got a lot of help here. Thank you again!
What about fixing the bumpy edge by knitting or crocheting a border all around? Even a single crochet border would finish it off nicely and smooth it out. ;)

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mzmom1 said:
baileysmom said:

What about fixing the bumpy edge by knitting or crocheting a border all around? Even a single crochet border would finish it off nicely and smooth it out. ;)
I don't know how to do that.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
baileysmom said:
mzmom1 said:
baileysmom said:

I don't know how to do that.
I'm not much of a crocheter, but I think you use a crochet hook the same diameter (mm.) as your knitting needles or maybe one size larger. You use the mm because knitting needle and crochet hook sizes don't match. Now, make a slipknot, put your hook through it and through the first stitch on the side of your blanket, wrap the yarn around the hook, and pull it through the blanket stitch and also through the stitch on the hook. You are left with a loop on the hook. One single crochet (sc) made. Put the needle through the next stitch on the edge of the blanket and do it all again. Now, if you will watch some youtube vids on learning to crochet and crochet edging, and if you'll put up a post on KP, you'll get plenty of info to get going on this.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the info, I did watch a video, seems a little complex for me. I crochet a lot less than I knit and never made a thing. I can do a basic chain (not good tension) and single crochet, that's about it. I appreciate the info though.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
baileysmom said:
Thank you for the info, I did watch a video, seems a little complex for me. I crochet a lot less than I knit and never made a thing. I can do a basic chain (not good tension) and single crochet, that's about it. I appreciate the info though.
You're welcome. If you can sc, you can do this. Why not try? It will pull right out if you don't like the way it looks.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mzmom1 said:
baileysmom said:
You're welcome. If you can sc, you can do this. Why not try? It will pull right out if you don't like the way it looks.
I would like to, but I am a little confused on exactly where to start.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
baileysmom said:
If I slip the first stitch purlwise on a purl row, then the next row is a knit row, I would still slip the first stitch as if 2 pearl right? I like the slst purlwise, seem to be tighter, but I will try again see if I get it right this time. If you hear a big Yippee, you'll know I got it.
if you do it this way (slip purlwise each row) you don't get a 'bumpy' edge. i tried it and was very pleased with the edging it made.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom