Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've gotten so much rain here lately that the grass has gotten very tall in just a few days. Time to mow. I use a riding mower, and I was just starting on the back yard, when the mower started to shudder and make a terrible sound. I stopped and disengaged the blade. I figured I had run over a kid's toy. I drove forward a couple feet, mower seemed fine, then I looked behind me. YUK! It was a BIG ol' snake, probably over three feet long (if you coulda put him back together), and fat. Also very dead. I never saw it because the grass was so thick. Kinda felt sorry for him, except that it's a snake, and...I don't like snakes. I gave DH the task of removing the corpse. It was probably just a rat snake, but I shudder to think what might have happened if he had come into contact with the dogs. Helluva way to start the morning.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Yuk, I am right there with you. It seems like every August we get a migration of garter snakes through our yard and garden. This last weekend I was harvesting beans and was lifting up leaves to look under the foliage for them when lo and behold I almost grabbed onto a very fat garter snake. Number one I had no idea they would climb up into the vines like that and number two I DO NOT LIKE SNAKES of any kind. Scared the you know what right out of me. My husband has now been given the job of harvesting. He doesn't like snakes either but I told him he was the man of the house and it was his job to keep me from having a heart attack.

·
Registered
13,834 Posts
This is NOT the way to harvest rattlesnake for a small 'snack'. :sm23:

You're only supposed to chop a few inches below the head.

Couldn't resist teasing you. :sm24:

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am like snakes. Not rattlers, or other poisonous ones but good garter etc. They eat mice, and bugs. I have lived in Texas for a long time (most of my 69 years) and if they don't bother me I don't bother them. So be a good neighbor and be careful. We are in North Texas so we've had lots of rain. Save the environment.

·
Registered
48,298 Posts
I saw mice in the bird feeder. Time to come inside.

CarolfromTX said:
We've gotten so much rain here lately that the grass has gotten very tall in just a few days. Time to mow. I use a riding mower, and I was just starting on the back yard, when the mower started to shudder and make a terrible sound. I stopped and disengaged the blade. I figured I had run over a kid's toy. I drove forward a couple feet, mower seemed fine, then I looked behind me. YUK! It was a BIG ol' snake, probably over three feet long (if you coulda put him back together), and fat. Also very dead. I never saw it because the grass was so thick. Kinda felt sorry for him, except that it's a snake, and...I don't like snakes. I gave DH the task of removing the corpse. It was probably just a rat snake, but I shudder to think what might have happened if he had come into contact with the dogs. Helluva way to start the morning.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Had that happened to me, I would have been in the next county within seconds, I am terrified of snakes. I am very glad you and your pups were not hurt.

·
Registered
13,834 Posts
knitteerli said:
Hubby once ran over a grass snake. The dachsie following behind the mower had an extended lunch that minute.
I read this message earlier on my portable... :sm23: :sm23: :sm23: :sm23: :sm23:
No need for a trip to the vet because of poisoned meat/too long in the sun. I know you were probably grossed out...but you know how fresh that snake was. No unwanted "treat" tossed over the fence because someone didn't like dogs! I hope you had extra water to help with the unplanned meal.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwww! So glad neither you nor dogs nor anyone else encountered the snake any other way than it being dead. My motto: no snakes allowed in "my territory". They enter at their own risk and WILL be killed if found. I agree---helluva way to start the day.

·
Registered
13,818 Posts
I like snakes and hate to see the beneficial ones killed. Fortunately there are no poisonous ones where we live. My terriers would be dead if there were, because I can't keep them from attacking every one they find.

·
Registered
15,325 Posts
I used to work for an excavation contractor. One of their jobs was to grade some desert land out in the middle of nowhere. Because they were disturbing formerly untouched land, there were several rattlesnakes out there. The foreman didn't want the snakes to get run over and killed by the heavy equipment and didn't want any of his crew bitten, so he painted the snakes he saw with water based fluorescent orange paint:) He said you could see those snakes tearing around in the desert many yards away.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ellasnan said:
Cant see how to include a quote so can someone tell what a 'copperhead' is please?
Copperheads are venomous snakes that blend in very well with dead leaves. Not as bad as a rattler. Our dog was bitten by a copperhead, but fast action and a trip to the vet saved his life.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom