Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get my eyes checked tomorrow. It will be so nice not to have to "squint" when looking at stuff. It will make knitting so much nicer.

I have roped Mark into going with me so he can drive.

Of course, we are not just getting my eyes checked, but are hitting my LYS and Joanns. Wonder what stuff will look like with my eyes dilated? I have my lists of items needed, so Mark will help in that area if I can't find something. Maybe it will take the temptation out of seeing all the yarn at my LYS....if I can't see it, I can't buy it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Boy do I know what you mean. I had my eyes tested many yrs ago,and got glasses. We then lost our eye insurance, and I havent been make. I know they are much worse now. I knit etc with cheap reading glasses at 2.50, and keep them low on my nose so I can see the TV. When I look up, I cant even read the guide on my 52" TV that is about 15 feet away. My eyes are so slow to accommodate.I have to admit tho. I seldom wore the others anyway.
Tammy

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
When having my appointments confirmed I am warned to have someone drive me because of the drops. Well, I don't have anyone to do that. So I just go and have a coffee, do a little shopping, and find my eyes have cleared, usually within half an hour.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
What I can't figure out is why they dilate your eyes then have your choose your frames. I can see the frames well enough but the mirror looks all smudgy. So get there a few minutes early to look at the frames for a bit before they start testing. :D

·
Registered
41,373 Posts
I've just had that doe a few weeks back and am lucky that Dr. is less than a mile away but, seriously, I ca hardly tell he has done it and last time he had to do it twice to get a eally good look at the back of eye. You will have no problem by the time you get to the yarn store. Do take sunglasses, in case youare more sensitive, but they will also give ou a pair of throw ways, if needed. My biggest problem is CLEANING the glasses every once in awhile. Amaxing how much better you can see with clean glasses....

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
A few years ago I had my eyes dilated and had trouble getting the few blocks home. A couple of months ago I had it done again and did not have that problem. I wonder if it was my eyes or if they use something different for the procedure.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I had my eyes looked at by an ophthalmologist because the last one I had had retired. This Dr has to check my eyes because my father has glaucoma. It has been found that I have a cataract growing, but won't affect me for a few years. I now have very watery eyes and have to have my eyes checked by an optomotrist for new glasses but need to go back to the ophthalmologist to see if I have blocked tear ducts. I have yet to make an appointment.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
It's helpful to tell the optician what sort of things I need to read and see and at what distance to help him/her make an appropriate prescription. Take some knitting and a pattern along with you on your check-up, so that you can see how the different lens work for you. I do a lot of singing and need to see my music and the conductor. Opticians in the UK more often than not will produce a sheet of music and ask how far the conductor will be from you. Same principle when knitting and watching TV simultaneously!

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I have macular degeneration in both eyes and have to have injections in each about every 2 months. They don't gve the injections in nbth eyes at the same time because if an bad infection were to develop they want to be sure you retain the vision in ine eye, at least. Oh, doesn't that sound positive!

I'm kidding. Kinda. It is a very serious theing and macular degeneration can't be cured; the goal is to keep it from getting much worse. I'm thankful to live in an age when injections are possible and do have an effect.

I also have 2 articial hips. Think of how wonderful modern medicine is.....without it I'd be blind and in a wheelchair!

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I have just returned from appointment to optitians.......new specs with 25% senior discount £185.oo thats almost $293 no wonder we put of going :| sheeeeeeeeesh

·
Registered
376 Posts
I got toxsoplasemosos, hope this spelled so you can read it Thats for cleaning the kitty litter, the desease if you are in the first 3 months, you badly deforn a baby, Anyway it invaded the retna of one eye, have to have it looked at every time, I get a change of eyeglasses. I have had catarac eye surgery in both eyes, now I can drive at night. The only thing it didn't help is my bad spelling, too lazy to look the word up and too old to hunt for the dictsionary. lol

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've just recently had cataract surgeries in both eyes. . .one week apart. I opted for a new kind of lens. . .multi-focal. . .I can now see without glasses any any range. . .close, computer and piano and far distance!!!!!!! I've worn glasses or contacts for about 40 years so this is a wonderful change for me! My mom has macular so I really take care of my eyes. . . .as much as I love fabric and yarn, I'll save the needed $ for my eyes!!!! jj

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ann DeGray said:
I have macular degeneration in both eyes and have to have injections in each about every 2 months. They don't gve the injections in nbth eyes at the same time because if an bad infection were to develop they want to be sure you retain the vision in ine eye, at least. Oh, doesn't that sound positive!

I'm kidding. Kinda. It is a very serious theing and macular degeneration can't be cured; the goal is to keep it from getting much worse. I'm thankful to live in an age when injections are possible and do have an effect.

Iquote]

I also have ARMD. In fact my next injection is scheduled for this Friday. But I only get them in one eye. I have one "wet" eye and one "dry". So far, there is nothing they can do for the dry. I have been getting the injections for over 4 years now and am also involved in a National Institutes of Health eye study for the dry eye. That being said, when I have the injection I can hardly hold my eye open outside even with sunglasses.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom