Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am an enthusiastic sock knitter. I recently purchased Knitpicks sock needles as well as a full set of Harmony Interchangeables, from a dealer in UK. I finally found my way to the Knitpicks website and discovered some wonderful sock yarns in plain solid colours. I then discovered that Knitpicks don't mail to Australia. I can get it from a Uk dealer but it is almost 3. Times the price. Sock yarns are very hard to get in Australia because people don't knit socks as much, GRRR. We have wonderful wool, which is generally quite cheap, just not for socks.

·
Registered
19,648 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sorry I can`t help with your problem, but am adding my problem. I once printed off a cute cowl pattern and then learned we do not have a replacement here in the US for the needle size the pattern asked for. Did learn it was made in Germany and that they do have a replacement needle in Canada, just not here in the US. So, kinda know how you feel.

·
Registered
19,648 Posts
Dot M said:
Sorry I can`t help with your problem, but am adding my problem. I once printed off a cute cowl pattern and then learned we do not have a replacement here in the US for the needle size the pattern asked for. Did learn it was made in Germany and that they do have a replacement needle in Canada, just not here in the US. So, kinda know how you feel.
For a cowl, the next size up or down isn't going to make a huge difference or one of each if it is done on straights!

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hilary, Just had a quick look, not many colours available, I avoid darker colours, and the yarn is a 4 ply. Fingering which is thicker than I use. However I may order some to give it a try.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info have checked wondoflex they only have 2 sock yarns and at $23 ball they are pretty ordinary and a bit exy I will keep looking. I can get Noro silk and wool for quite a bit less than that. I really wanted plain colours.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Milocat said:
I am an enthusiastic sock knitter. I recently purchased Knitpicks sock needles as well as a full set of Harmony Interchangeables, from a dealer in UK. I finally found my way to the Knitpicks website and discovered some wonderful sock yarns in plain solid colours. I then discovered that Knitpicks don't mail to Australia. I can get it from a Uk dealer but it is almost 3. Times the price. Sock yarns are very hard to get in Australia because people don't knit socks as much, GRRR. We have wonderful wool, which is generally quite cheap, just not for socks.
I bought some nice sock yarn from Spotlight. Haven't done more than a few rows and it is now a wip or ufo. Wasn't too dear either. Albert Park store in Adelaide has several colourways on the shelf - "Nor" 100g ball $8.40 approximately a 5 ply.

Do you have a Spotlight nearby?

Hope this helps some.

Irene (ernai)

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
I got some wonderful sock yarn called "Aussie sock yarn"...possibly "Aussie Sox yarn" great stuff, wish I kept the label but I'm pretty sure the label said it came from Sydney. Though I don't recall any yarn mills when I visited Sydney.

Many companies do not ship internationally due to the fact that shipping rates change so often and the paperwork required by retailers is time consuming. Not to mention the mess created with duties/taxes. I work in the shipping industry, so I know it can be a nightmare to deal with.

For the most part the European equivalents to US sock yarns are four ply yarns that are a blend of superwash wool and nylon.

I do believe that Nobel Knits ships outside the the US and they have a wonderful selection of yarns at reasonable pricing.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Courier, I shop online all time because of the lack of sock yarns here. With regard to the cost of shipping, I don't understand because I pay for shipping, and there are no taxes here for yarns coming from OS.if there was duty, again that would be my cost, nothing to do with the seller. I think that they just haven't set up their financials, even that is difficult to understand because Paypal pays the money, already converted, into their account. the only other explanation is that they simply do not need the business.
This is the first time I have encountered this attitude, I will go back to the companies who do appreciate my business. I have told them that I was willing to,place a substantial order. Really hard to understand. Oh well.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Milocat I have made socks using any 4 ply yarn that has both wool and nylon the brand I used was Cleckheaton cocoon this is a baby yarn but pretty colours. The wool inn in Penrith sells all types of sock yarns and the ladies are very good at offering suggestions on alternative yarns http://www.the-wool-inn.com.au/ They post to all over Aus and international but it is well worth the visit to the store if you are close enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Trasara, your socks do look nice, I will check out your yarn shop. I live on the Northern Beaches so not near Penrith, but I will check their website. I had wondered about baby wool, I do have some Patonyle 4 ply but only in cream thanks again.

·
Registered
11,389 Posts
It's not that simple when it comes to international shipping, much more is involved than merely converting money. Packages that leave one country and go to another (from a commercial source) must include documentation. The documentation must include a list of every item in the parcel, the country of origin of every item, the value of every item in addition to information on the seller. Packages that are withheld by customs for improper documentation have a fee charged on them daily, until the documentation is corrected.

So it's not a matter of a company not wanting your business. While taxes and duties do not specifically apply to YOU, other countries do levy these against recipients. If the recipient doesn't pay, the parcel isn't delivered. Then the seller must pay additional shipping charges for the merchandise to be returned to them.

When a retailer enters the international shipping arena it's a complex maze of rules and regulations for every country that is being shipped to. I haven't even gotten into the subject of items that are banned in some countries.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom