Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to make soap socks as gifts for my gift stach.Found patterns that list wool or sugar and cream as yarn. Wool is expensive and I find that my sugar and cream dish rags strech when wet. Has anyone used another type of yarn for these?Wonder if acrylic yarn such as Red Heart super saver can be used for this?

·
Registered
12,214 Posts
No on the acrylic. It won't absorb anything, so is poor as a dish rag. Yes Sugar and Creme, this is a cotton yarn, does stretch when wet. That is the nature of cotton. When you wash your dish cloth and then pop in dryer, it will gi back to it's original shape. Cotton, wool, linen, or blend , all work very well for wash/dish cloths because these natural fibers are very absorbant.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Toto, thank you for asking about soap bags. I have been pondering the same question and issues. Agree that acrylic wouldn't work, but was wondering about some other than dishcloth cotton. Does the cotton/hemp stretch less when wet?

·
Registered
514 Posts
I made felted soap a few years ago, rubbing at wet rovimg wrapped around a bar of soap. The felting holds the wet soap that has come off the bar so there's always soap ready when you wet it for use. So my point is, get the cheapest felting wool you can find for your bags.

·
Registered
969 Posts
The biggest issue I'm having with the idea of soap bags is (I hate to say this, but I'm a bit of a germaphobe) micro-organisms. I suppose a soap sock and the soap inside it hanging in the shower would dry out between uses and the germs would die--maybe? Maybe not. The felted wool seems like a great idea and would probably dry faster than cotton, again maybe? The only soap bags I've had experience with are the microfiber ones that come on kids' soap. They work pretty well for young children and dry quickly.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have made soap sacks out of cotton and acrylic. Cotton ones do stretch but that's what makes them great. You just make them slightly smaller than your bar of soap and then they stretch when in use. When you wash them in the washing machine and dry them, they shrink back and then stretch again when in use.

I didn't think I would like one made with acrylic yarn. It was more abrasive but not as bad as I thought it would be.

I have a super easy crochet pattern for one if you are interested in the link. They crochet up fast and use less yarn than other patterns I've seen.

I used to leave the soap in the sack between uses, but found that the soap got too mushy. So I just take it out in between. wash and rinse the soap sack and hang to dry. Then put soap back in when needed.

As far as acrylic dish cloths go, they are not absorbent but are great scrubbers. If I need something to wipe down my table with, I grab my cotton dish cloth, but if I want to wash a pot, I grab my acrylic ones. I like tawashi's for this reason. You don't need a lot of soap because of the abrasiveness of the acrylic scrubber.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
baglady1104 said:
The biggest issue I'm having with the idea of soap bags is (I hate to say this, but I'm a bit of a germaphobe) micro-organisms. I suppose a soap sock and the soap inside it hanging in the shower would dry out between uses and the germs would die--maybe? Maybe not. The felted wool seems like a great idea and would probably dry faster than cotton, again maybe? The only soap bags I've had experience with are the microfiber ones that come on kids' soap. They work pretty well for young children and dry quickly.
Why not use a "holey" pattern, or really large needle, so the air goes thru. Which it will, except for acryic. What doesn't dry, I've discovered, is the brush if you leave soap in it.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
wondering how bamboo would work?

have friend in Finland who says it is the ultimate softest & works up beautifully (lol guess she should kno, all those sweaters they make there just 2 keep warm lol)

·
Registered
31 Posts
My hubby and I do early 1800's re-enactments called "rendezvous". This sport/recreation involves primitive camping - we can use some modern equipment such as coolers, as long as they are hidden from view either through "covers" or inside our "tents". With that in mind, I am considering making some of these out of cotton -"Sugar and Cream" -that I have left-overs of.
I'm not at all worried about stretching, or "sogging" as I plan on making a "hanger" to go on one end so they can be hung outside to dry. Many of us leave a small wash basin under our awnings for washing up, and they would be perfect for that....
Thank you all for reminding me that cotton does stretch, so I will make them smaller than the bar of soap I plan on using.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
I would make it on at least two sizes smaller than recommended needles and snug for the bar size you're using. Most do go back into shape once they've been washed and dried.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I made mine out of wool and then it felts as you use it and of course shrinks along with the soap so you use up all the pieces. It has been a while since I used one and I can't remember if it dried out between uses. But if you hang it up it should be ok. It also works well for left over pieces of soap just put a bunch in the bag. I think the wool dries out better, too. You use such a small amount that the cost isn't that much. You get a lot out of one skein of yarn.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Me, too. I guess you could take the soap out between uses (which I would recommend anyway) then sterilize the sock by putting it into a pyrex measuring cup and bringing it almost to a boil in the microwave. I do this with my dish scrubby sponges every few days.

Does anyone remember, as a kid, their Mom wiping their faces with the dish cloth and it smelling all sour? Yeeech! Almost as bad as 'Momma's industrial strength spit' on a tissue!!! Lol

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I didn't knit or crochet mine I got it from Mt Rose Herbs but it looks to be made of crochet thread a fine thread that stretches enough to go over a bar of soap and I got it for my dry skin to get rid of it and it has worked well..

·
Registered
467 Posts
one thing I do like about cotton is that it exfoliates when you use it. I have dry skin so this is a plus for me.

I must go looking for my neat little soap saver pattern. I can't remember where I stored it. I will post the pattern if I find it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom