Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay if you look at the 2 pics, the back of one sock looks like the front of the other sock, I know they don't match exactly, but I want the front of the one sock to look like the back of the other sock, how can I change them on the needles so I can continue to knit 2 at a time

Attachments

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
rtk1219 said:
okay if you look at the 2 pics, the back of one sock looks like the front of the other sock, I know they don't match exactly, but I want the front of the one sock to look like the back of the other sock, how can I change them on the needles so I can continue to knit 2 at a time
Ask Eric (sockit2me) or Amy (AmyKnits). I'm sure either could tell you.

·
Premium Member
19,049 Posts
You have to be very certain that you started at exactly the same place on the yarn on both socks; you have to be certain that the color sequences are exactly the same length on the yarn you are using; you have to be sure your tension is exactly the same; and when you get up to the foot part of the sock the pattern will work better.

I have knit a lot of socks and this just happens sometimes. They are still matching..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
chickkie said:
You have to be very certain that you started at exactly the same place on the yarn on both socks; you have to be certain that the color sequences are exactly the same length on the yarn you are using; you have to be sure your tension is exactly the same; and when you get up to the foot part of the sock the pattern will work better.

I have knit a lot of socks and this just happens sometimes. They are still matching..
yep, that's how to do it :thumbup:

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I agree with chickkie... there is no EXACT science to it.... just pull out your yarn and make sure that you check carefully to make SURE that you are starting in the same place.

In this photo it looks as if your yarn has a run of black and then a pattern, a run of black and a different pattern. There MAY be more runs, but from your photo there are at LEAST two.

You need to start AFTER the correct run of black... yes, you will have to waste yarn, but that's the sacrifice for matching.

The GOOD news is that once you get to the right spot on BOTH balls of yarn.... you can continue to knit the rest of the sock knowing that they will match. It is JUST getting there that is the tricky part.

It looks as though from your photos that you THOUGHT you were pulling from the same spots... a run of black then a run of the green/beige. You were tricked because there are at least TWO DIFFERENT runs of the green/beige and you need to pull further to find the correct one to match.

I have even pulled out lengths of the yarn straight out onto my white kitchen counter to closely examine them for the "right" place to start on each ball. You have a tricky one here (different patterns of SAME colors) so you may need to go that route.

·
Registered
473 Posts
If I am reading your question right, what you are asking is about turning one of the socks around to make the two socks match better. You should be able to do this by slipping the stitches of one sock onto a couple of dpns. Slide the stitches to the opposite end of the needles, flip them around and then slip them back to the original needle. You will have to add an extra row of stitches (or take out a row) to get the working yarn back in the correct position. Does that help? Take your time and think it through to be sure you are getting them correct. Good Luck. I have had to do this before and it's easy to get confused!

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
At first, I thought you had the answer, Sockmouth, but I sat and thought a minute and I don't think it will work. Typically, sock yarn is made up of SEVERAL color changes in a row. IF there were only one, simply turning around would work.

An example.... Let's say the color runs are as follows...

black
green check
black
green stripes
black
green zig zags
black
green dots

She started one sock with green zig zags and the other with green checks.

If she turns one around and continues knitting.....

Sock one looks like

black
green zig zags
black
green dots
black
green check

Sock two looks like

black
green checks (turned around)
black
green stripes(even turned, this is still what is coming next)
black
green zig zags

I don't think turning the piece around is going to solve the problem of getting the WHOLE sock to match.... only the first piece here... since the colors change in order the whole way through... changing the first color is going to still end up with the remainder colors out of order in the sock.

I think your problem will only solve correcting what she has already knitted.... the rest of the sock will still be off.

Right?! My brain hurts....

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
This is bugging me so I had to check for sure....If you start in two different spots and simply turn the toe around to correct the first color change (coincidence that THAT even worked out).... the successive color changes will NOT line up.

You DO need to start each sock in the same place on both socks. All you need to do Is to correct one of your toes to match the other and you will be all set. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
My head hurts too, but I think you are right. I had not thought it through that far. Just tried to answer the turning part. So what it comes down to is either live with it the way it is or start over on one sock. I need some ice cream to get over this one! Lol

Beautiful socks by the way!

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Sockmouth said:
My head hurts too, but I think you are right. I had not thought it through that far. Just tried to answer the turning part. So what it comes down to is either live with it the way it is or start over on one sock. I need some ice cream to get over this one! Lol

Beautiful socks by the way!
Thanks. Still thinking, though! Lol. Those socks were not knitted by me, but FOR me by sockit2me... Forgot to give HIM credit.. Oops!

·
In Memoriam
3,831 Posts
Amy is correct. To have a pair of socks match, either toe up or top down, you must START both at the same color/design point in the yarn. This is best done by always rewinding the yarn from the original ball and analyzing which way the patterning runs and how to best start with minimal piecing or splicing to perform the match. This takes a bit of time and attention at the onset, but then everything falls in line. I suggest that you start over, if you want matching socks. It's all a learning experience! :) :)

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I think I need to start over, they are for my granddaughter, they will be her lucky socks for baseball next season, and they will be seen by everyone for the whole season, and I sure don't want her to be picked on for any reason, thank you all for your input, this pair has to be just right, God Bless and thank you again, I will post pics when done , they will be knee socks by the way, I sure hope they aren't going to be to warm...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sock update..how long can a color run be really?

I started the socks over because they didn't match up, wrote about it here,got some advice from very helpful members, did as instructed, started over unraveled 1/2 the yarn to be very sure I had them matching, so here they are , still not matching. guess theses weren't meant to match...I have never seen a color run this long, any ideas???

double checked to be sure they were the same dye lot and they were.. how does one match something with this long of a color run?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,049 Posts
I don't think you actually started at the beginning of the color run. Sometimes you have to pull a lot of the yarn out to find out if the sequence is matching. I can see that they aren't started in the same spot in the yarn, but that is not a big problem. They are all the same colors and I don't see that they have to match completely.

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
chickkie is right. There is a sequence of color repeats in your yarn.

Difficult to explain, but I will try my best. Let's say each color run is a number from 1-7.

Let's say YOUR yarn has a repeat as such..... 1-4-2-1-5-2-7-3-6 and on a few more.

You see, the yarn has the section 2 in two different places. So, on sock A, you looked for section 2 and began your sock there.

On sock B, you also started on section 2..... however, there is a section 2 in two different places in the run.

I promise.... It WILL work out... that is the way yarn is manufactured. Once you find the right section, you won't have to think of it again. Granted, you chose a more difficult pattern, but it will work.

You can keep going as I don't think it makes a big difference in this pattern. BUT.. this serves to be a learning experience for you.

When I said you have to pull the yarn until you find the section that matches.... sometimes I have to pull out a couple of yards or more to find the RIGHT section.

So sorry you are having trouble. They really are pretty.

I took the socks off my feet and took some photos. I believe this is the SAME yarn you are using but in a different colorway. If not, it is pretty close!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom