Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok first off if my sister is reading this...don't even say it. I know i swore i would never.
Now with That out of the way I am considering trying to knit socks. The question is DPN or circular? Of course i have only been knitting for a few weeks and have coordination issues so i am leaning to circulars but willing to consider DPN if that is easier. Then i would need an extremely simple preferable free pattern for socks. Not for me but for my teenage daughter who loves fun socks. She is a womans size 7 shoe. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
You will find as many fans of DPNs as circulars (or magic loop). I'm in the DPN camp. I also knit cuff-down -- just my preference because I haven't learned toe-up yet.

Many people start the first couple rows on straight needles and then divide them on to 3 or 4 DPNs. I prefer to use 5 needles with the stitches on 4 needles and a working needle. I conquered ladders when I switched to 4 needles with stitches.

There are a ton of free sock patterns. Start with Ravelry. Or google free sock patterns.

Are you starting with fingering,sport, or worsted weight?

For your first sock, it might be easier to make a sock using worsted (others may disagree).

Enjoy. You may become a huge fan of kitting socks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I started knitting socks last fall. This is the basic pattern I settled on. I also wear a 7B. With sock weight yarn like Red Heart, Heart & Soul (Self striping for the fun part) and size 1 circular needle (I use a 36" but I make 2 at one time), using Magic Loop cast on 8 stitches using long tail cast on (Lots of videos on You Tube). Knit one round (knitting thru back loop on second side on this round only. K 6 rnds increasing 2 stitches (1 after 1st stitch and 1 before last stitch on each side. =20 sts each side. K 1 round even and 1 increase round, 5 times. = 30 stitches each side. At this point you should have 60 stitches in all. Knit even until sock measures 6 to 7". Try it on her if you can this should come to the bend at the top of the foot. Then I do a Sweet Tomato Heel(Cat Bordhi has a great video on You Tube. I do 3 wedges with 4 even knit rnds in between each wedge. After the 3rd wedge you start the leg. You can do all ribbing or all knit with 1 or 2" of ribbing. Then use Jenny's Stretch Bind off, (another you tube video) but very easy. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sbruyette said:
I started knitting socks last fall. This is the basic pattern I settled on. I also wear a 7B. With sock weight yarn like Red Heart, Heart & Soul (Self striping for the fun part) and size 1 circular needle (I use a 36" but I make 2 at one time), using Magic Loop cast on 8 stitches using long tail cast on (Lots of videos on You Tube). Knit one round (knitting thru back loop on second side on this round only. K 6 rnds increasing 2 stitches (1 after 1st stitch and 1 before last stitch on each side. =20 sts each side. K 1 round even and 1 increase round, 5 times. = 30 stitches each side. At this point you should have 60 stitches in all. Knit even until sock measures 6 to 7". Try it on her if you can this should come to the bend at the top of the foot. Then I do a Sweet Tomato Heel(Cat Bordhi has a great video on You Tube. I do 3 wedges with 4 even knit rnds in between each wedge. After the 3rd wedge you start the leg. You can do all ribbing or all knit with 1 or 2" of ribbing. Then use Jenny's Stretch Bind off, (another you tube video) but very easy. Hope this helps some.
this one sounds easy...but i think i may have to learn to do increases/decreases before i attempt socks...hmmmmm going to have to think about that one! :shock:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Recently learned to knit socks and finished my first pair using DK weight yarn and a #4 needle. Not perfect, but I am pleased with the results. Now I am working on my second pair using sock yarn and a #3 needle. Big difference. I definitely recommend learning to knit socks using the heavier weight yarn and a larger needle. Sock yarn takes some getting used to.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I checked for easy sock patterns on the net and did find lots of choices. I use double pointed needles - and I prefer to work with three with yarn and one working needle. I cast on all the stitches on one needle and then do the first row with the other needles and join in the round. It does take some practice and keep asking questions! I usually check out knitting stitches on the web with video when I want to learn a new stitch.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I just finished my third pair of socks. I have only used DPNs. I want to try that magic loop two at a time method. That will be my next experiment , as it avoids that second sock syndrome lol!
Warning !!!socks can become addicting:)
I promised myself that I won't start another pair until I finish my cabled throw pillows that I just started for my new sofa.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Definitely start out with worsted weight (#4) yarn and a tube sock pattern using DPNs. This will give you practice with the dpns and the heavier yarn is much easier to handle for a beginner sock knitter. Google an "easy tube sock" pattern and you'll find several! Good Luck!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Check out the Cottage Slipper Socks pattern on Lionbrand.com. It's made out of super bulky Woolese Thick & Quick. I finished my first one last night. Expect to complete the pair tonight. Goes really fast. I always use dps. You get used to them really quickly. Just remember when changing needles, knit the first stitch and when you go to the 2nd one, give the yarn a little tug -- that prevents runners.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Welcome Chrissy :D I was the same as you, a sworn off socks knitter. Until... I went into a site called "all free knitting" and found a pattern for 2 needle tube socls. The best part is there are no heel turns, ok ok I know you seasoned knitters are saying "that doesn't count", but it does if it makes me FEEL like an accomplished sock knitter. :lol: The first 2 pair I made were on two needles and you sew the sides up when you're done. Got tired of sewing the seams so I bought 9 inch circs and OH MY GOD !!! I had real socks when I was done and no side seam. Everyone loves them so much it seems I'll be knitting them for quite a while.The pattern if for an anklet version but says to just add more rows if you like a longer leg, which I did. Made knee high and 3/4 lengths. If I can figure how to add the link I will post it. Good luck. :wink:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always use dp needles....made 4 pair of socks for gifts..A great suggestion --to start with heavier yarn. I like using 5 needles (total). I usually have both socks "going" so I don'thave the dreaded second sock syndrome.....It is nice to really finish a project and move on. An unrelated comment,I have tea every day with the knitting forum..a great group. It's snowing in Montana --a good day to knit socks.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I suggest you start SMALL.

Make a single "Christmas Tree Ornament Sock"--a kid's size to get the hang of it.

Any basic top down, heel flap sock pattern. Do it in scrap worsted weight yarn on DPNS. About 24-36 stitches on about size 5 needles. (If you only have small size dpns, still try a test sock in a small size with sock yarn.)

It will take no time. It acts as a swatch as well as a learning experience. I do think learning on worsted yarn is easier and you get faster results and if you make mistakes have fewer stitches to deal with.

During the first sock try-out you can even try using two circulars and/or magic loop, using what needles you can put together for the experiment. It won't matter about size as it is just practice.

By that time you finish that you will know how the sock goes together and you will have tried techniques. Then you can make some informed choices about buying needles and yarns.

ALSO.....treat yourself to lifelines when doing your first socks. Doesn't take a second to thread in and saves a lot of time if you lose count and get off course.

When you start the heel turn, and at the beginning of the heel flap and when you start decreasing the toe. Every few rounds put in a life line and if you goof up it is a lot easier.

And have a much smaller neeedle around and a crochet hook to pick up stitches.

I bet you will love it. Knitting round and round is very relaxing.

You can always try a simple mitten pattern to learn to work in the round before you go to socks. Mitttens are a little easier than socks, and teach you increases and decreases.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Chrissy -- I disagree with some of the advice given. If you start with worsted, you may be unhappy with the result as many people complain that the stitches are uncomfortable to walk on. Or, you could do one as a sample, which is what I did. But I'd have as soon gone ahead and done a "real" sock.

As for DPNs, I would LOVE to give them up since I do as much knitting as possible on circulars to reduce the stress and increase efficiency, but I have not been able to satisfactorily learn the technique for one or two on circulars. I get thoroughly stuck at the joining part. DPNs aren't that difficult, though (if you get past joining, which isn't all that bad.)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom