Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am knitting socks on dpns. I am getting in a mess with finishing the toes. My pattern says work until 8 stitches remain (eg 2 on each of 4 needles) I am find this very difficult as the needles get so close together they sort of swizel around and previously I got fed up and just pulled thread through even though more stitches than stated were on needles. I was lucky last time but this time i got in a right mess. See topic "To knot or not to Knot pleae help" I have been on utube and I think I may have more luck with the kitchener stitch. If I leave 10 stitches on two needles and start the kitchener will this work out ok? I started with 60 stitches. Any advice would be appreciated. I am desperate to enjoy knitting socks and the last bit always lets me down and gets me down.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My favorite way to finish the toes of socks is the three needle bind off. I like it better than pulling the thread through and the kitchener stitch. I'm sure if you google it on youtube you can see how it's done. It's pretty easy! and puts a nice seam on the toes.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noelwright this looks quite easy but is it suitable for socks. The video says it creates a firm seam. I am wondering if this would be comfortable for socks. Have you found it comfortable?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I did socks using magic loop, but used kitchener stitch when I had 8 stitches per needle and had no problems. I was using worsted weight yarn (so they are thick & warm). I think that 10 stitches would work OK.

I'm curious to see others' opinions.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's too much work! When I get to the 8 or 10 sts left, I just do the "Norwegian toe" I read somewhere about and gather them up and run the end of the yarn through a couple of times. Out of maybe 12 pairs of socks only one toe dared to come undone so I reknitted it and made it a row longer, and then it didn't dare come undone again. Ever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was going to ask, too, do you knit one sock at a time? I did that my first pair and it drove me mad. Since then, I knit 1 cuff, then knit cuff 2; leg1, leg 2, heel 1, heel 2,etc. so when I'm done, I'm really done. The feet always thank me.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Rossi said:
I am knitting socks on dpns. I am getting in a mess with finishing the toes. My pattern says work until 8 stitches remain (eg 2 on each of 4 needles) I am find this very difficult as the needles get so close together they sort of swizel around and previously I got fed up and just pulled thread through even though more stitches than stated were on needles. I was lucky last time but this time i got in a right mess. See topic "To knot or not to Knot pleae help" I have been on utube and I think I may have more luck with the kitchener stitch. If I leave 10 stitches on two needles and start the kitchener will this work out ok? I started with 60 stitches. Any advice would be appreciated. I am desperate to enjoy knitting socks and the last bit always lets me down and gets me down.
You should be fine starting with 10 stitches instead of 8.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have just started making socks. The first one I did, I finished with the 3-needle bind-off but it left a ridge. On the next one, I watched a couple of videos on YouTube on how to do the kitchener stitch and it looks much better. I thought the kitchener it was going to be hard, but it really turned out to be pretty easy.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Either Kitchner or Norwegian toe is the way to go. Both leave smooth, seamless toes. One of the reasons for knitting socks is to have comfortable socks. I cannot see how the very firm ridge of a 3-needle bind off is comfortable. By the way, the number for stitches to finish off is your choice. Either 8 or 10 is OK.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Rossi, I started knitting socks about 6 months ago. I was so excited when I finished the first one but I wanted something better so I played around with them and came up with (my) perfect sock. when I get to work I will send you what I came up with if you like.

Sandy

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
When you get to very few stitches, reduce the number of needles you are using, so there are enough stitches on each individual needle to keep them from swinging around so much. Finish off with four stitches on each of two needles and knit with a third.

Leave your final stitches four on each needle and graft (kitchener stitch) across.

Thread the s(ewing) needle, and hold the two k(nitting)needles next to each other. Assuming your thread is coming from the back, stitch from inside to outside through the first front k needle stitch, then inside to outside through the first back k needle stitch. Pull fairly firmly so you don't have a baggy corner - your last knitted stitch should be really tight on the needle.

*Next, stitch outside to inside through the same first front k needle stitch and drop it off the needle. Stitch from inside to outside through the new first front k needle stitch. Repeat on the back k needle, ie inwards, drop off stitch, outwards through the next stitch. Tension up these two stitches so the size of 'stitches' you have sewn matches your knitted ones*

Repeat the whole * to * sequence until you have only one stitch left on each needle; with these last two pass the s needle outwards to complete the sequence, front then back, dropping them as you do the stitch. As at the start, pull this last stitch a bit tighter to 'round off' the corner.

There is no other finish that is comparable for invisibility and more importantly, comfort, than the grafted toe.

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
I couldn't get the kitchener stitch when I first started knitting socks, and I used the three needle bind off. (btw - over ten years ago) While they did have a ridge, I found it to be so short, and in a spot that never bothered me. I even still have a couple pairs of those socks left! I've done the pull thread through thing - works best on sock toes that have round shaping in my opinion, otherwise I get a point that doesn't appeal to me. (that is me, you might like it). I finally got the hang of kitchener, and use it often.

Another alternative would be to try some toe up socks :)

As long as the sock fits you - that is, it is long enough when you stop, either at 8 or 10 or 12 stitches left, then you can finish it off whatever way you want to. They are your socks - and if anyone is going to stick their face that close to the toe of your foot to see, count, or criticize how many stitches you have left, well - that is their problem, not yours!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have used the Kitchener stitch to close toe ends, sweater shoulders, all making an invisible and smooth seam. I never bind off shoulder stitches, or any stitches that will require a seam sewn together. This stitch is well worth the time to learn and just adds that little bit of professional look.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Rossi said:
Kitchener! Makes a nice finished toe that blends in with your knitting as doing the Kitchener weaves the tail through the remaining sts and makes them into actual sts to blend in. However, the toe will look best if you have 10 sts for the sole sts on one needle and 10 sts on the instep to Kitchener. The sock is more comfy to wear too. JMHO Sheri

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom