Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have sock slated for the near future, after I finish other projects and I have a question about sock toes.

Is there any way to knit socks where the seam at the toe isn't at the tip but rather over the top of the toe, a la store-bought socks? I never wear tube socks because the seam being at the tips of my toes drives me crazy, especially when wearing shoes. I worry that my self-knitted socks, even though they would be shaped with a heel, would do the same.

·
Premium Member
12,963 Posts
You can also contruct a top down sock the way machine knit socks are made and just work a second heel turn at the toe on the stitches that form the bottom of the foot, and then graft (with Kitchener stitch) those stitches to the live stitches on the front/top of the foot. The turned portion comes up from under the foot and folds over the toes with the grafted stitches running across the top of the toes. (A short-row type heel turn works best as a toe. You don't want a flap there.)

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
chickkie said:
There is no seam on hand knit socks using kitchener stitch at the toes

or if you make toe up socks, there is no seam at the toes because of the way the socks are constructed
chickkie's right...when finishing with kitchener st, it is 'grafted' rather than seamed which appears that the knit continues down the foot, over the toe and onto the bottom of the toe...no seam at all..........(top down style, i don't make toe-up versions as i prefer to mend the top down style... got a hole? clip off last half inch, unravel past the hole, put on needles and replace the last 2 or 3 inches and your socks are good as new in minutes and usually have an interesting color blocked toe the second time around)....lol

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys--good to know about the kitchener stitch as well as the over-toe method.

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh Lord! The good news is that I don't have to worry about toe seams. The "bad" news is that there seems to be a lot of methods for not having to worry about them. :shock:

So...I guess I will be knitting a lot of socks so I can test them out and see which one is the best for me! :)

This forum is the best!

·
Registered
31,240 Posts
Once you start socks, you get addicted to socks, so try different ways until you find what works best for you.

I am also a toe up Judy Becker's magic cast on two at a time magic loop circular needle. I do a short row heel designed by Priscilla Wild that doesn't have wraps and bind off with Jeni Staiman's stretchy bind off so the tops are not too tight.

Took me four or five different methods until I found what works for me.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
sumpleby said:
I have sock slated for the near future, after I finish other projects and I have a question about sock toes.

Is there any way to knit socks where the seam at the toe isn't at the tip but rather over the top of the toe, a la store-bought socks? I never wear tube socks because the seam being at the tips of my toes drives me crazy, especially when wearing shoes. I worry that my self-knitted socks, even though they would be shaped with a heel, would do the same.
If you use Judy's Magic Cast On for toe up socks there is no seam at the toes! It's great!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
sumpleby said:

If you knit toe up you can use a Turkish/Eastern cast on or Judy's magic cast on and you won't have a seam. In top down you can use Kitchner stitch, gathered tip, or zig zag bind off and again you don't have a seam.

Ann Budd has done several sock books and covers many of these. I use her Sock Knitting Master Class as it also covers a wide verity of heels. :p

·
Registered
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will be trying out all the great suggestions I've gotten to see which suits me best. I just have a couple more projects to finish before I start my socks. In the meantime I will be searching around for my yarn. I admit that one reason I want to make socks is that I love wild-colored socks. :-D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom