Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used sock yarn to make men's scarves? I was thinking of making them double in the round, using Judy's Cast On and then working them as a sock except knitting them straight in the pattern. I don't know if making them double would make them too heavy or not. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sure you can use sock yarn for scarves. How warm they will be will depend on the fiber content and how wide you make them. I use sock yarn for everything from lace scarves to gloves and sometimes even socks!!

·
Registered
12,389 Posts
wow even socks... lol lol They would be very nice made of sock yarn but I do not think they would be very warm. The yarn is very thin. The only reason I would use it is the color choice and if I have some around the house. If you double it I think it would be dk yarn in size so why not use that I have in the past made My son fingerless mitts and socks to match now he wants a hat.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I used sock yarn to make a hat for a colleague who bikes to work frequently. I made him a hat last year, but it was too thick (worsted) to fit under his bike helmet. The sock yarn hat is thin enough to fit under the helmet and long enough to fold back over his ears. It's not toasty warm, but it's a lot better than nothing. It was a wool yarn with a little nylon.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
When I knit a Men's Scarf I buy #5 Chunky or #6 Very Bulky Yarn.

I use a size 13-15 US Needle and do the rib stitch (same on both sides)

They come out nice and heavy and warm.

I am a believer that a Mans' Scarf should not be delicate and instead substantial.

I always knit them 60 inches long. Too short ruins the look!

Fisherwoman

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I use sock yarn for scarfs, in fact in the middle of one now. It is a blended wool. I made in 8" wide. My brother wants one that you fold in half take ends and make loop. So it has to be really long. hope to post when I am finished

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Why don't you look at scarves on Ravelry made from fingering/sock yarns? You can use Ravelry's filters to see just sock weight yarn and if you like, just men's patterns. Wool is supposed to be much warmer than acrylic or other synthetics. I don't know that thin yarn is necessarily less warm than heavier yarn. I have a very warm woven scarf that is made from fine threads. I think sock yarn can make a very nice, warm scarf!

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom