Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took the leap of faith, and ordered the Socks a la carte 2 book. Received it yesterday, and while quickly reading through it noted all the instruction are written for either DPN's or 2 circular needles. I wonder can anyone help me figure out how to convert the patterns to magic loop. I get stumped when it comes to the heel, and transferring the extra stitches. If I just move the stitches, my working yarn is in the wrong place. I could work the few stitches and in the process move them to the other needle, BUT those stitches would end up being worked and the others not worked. I hope this makes sense. Am I making this harder than I should, over thinking it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I hope someone helps you as I never could figure out the magic loop...it drove me crazy that is why I got the dvds to knit with 2 circular needles. Its so less stressful. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chaty,
I have figured out the magic loop method, working on my second pair of socks now. I just don't understand how to convert the patterns in this book to the magic loop method. All the patterns are written for DPN or 2 circular. I'm really having trouble understanding how I'll do the heel, moving the stitches and such, if I use magic loop.
I recommend magic loop, because when you are finished with the pattern you have the pair done. No second sock to knit.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Dezlie said:
Well I took the leap of faith, and ordered the Socks a la carte 2 book. Received it yesterday, and while quickly reading through it noted all the instruction are written for either DPN's or 2 circular needles. I wonder can anyone help me figure out how to convert the patterns to magic loop. I get stumped when it comes to the heel, and transferring the extra stitches. If I just move the stitches, my working yarn is in the wrong place. I could work the few stitches and in the process move them to the other needle, BUT those stitches would end up being worked and the others not worked. I hope this makes sense. Am I making this harder than I should, over thinking it?
Dezlie,
I have that book and make all my socks using the magic loop 2 at a time toe up. Just cast on using Judy's magic cast on (knitpurlhunter.com) under magic loop, BTW it is explained in detail via a video. Then start knitting. If a pattern calls for dpns or 2 circulars just divide the stitches evenly in the cast on, ex: total cast on 16 stitches, put 8 on each needle instead of 4 on each dpn. When it comes to the gusset just increase on one side. This will become the sole and continue in pattern on the other side which will become the instep. If working a pattern on entire front of sock only knit the pattern on one side which becomes the instep and SS on the other side which is the sole. When turning the heel, just work one sock at a time and turn after each row. You will be knitting one side and purling when you turn. Then when finished with this heel, work the second the same. Then go back and work both the instep and heel at the same time.

Most any pattern that calls for dpns can be made using the magic loop, even cuff down. I've made fingerless gloves cuff down using magic loop and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AllyMu, thank you so much for taking the time to explain. I was just getting confused about the stitch placement. I figured out magic loop by watching youtube, I'm sure it will just take time to figure this out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay I watched the video to make the Magic Loop socks, but what if you have a pattern that is harder than just a plain pair of socks. I love to cable knit, but I just can't figure it out with Magic Loop. Can someone please help me?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom