Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to knit socks for babies, children and adults. I can sort of figure out the circular needles but not comfortable with them. It always seems to end up using dpns to finish projects. These I canNOT get to work no matter how hard I try. Anone got any tips or patterns for socks using the two needle way?

·
Registered
13,785 Posts
I prefer using two matched size circulars (SET) about 24 inches or longer (60.96 cm) for doing socks and other in-the-round projects.

Double points poke into my hands too much...and the composition of the larger double-points will not allow for bending the non-metal double-point sets.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have been looking for a sock pattern with two needles and haven't found one yet! except baby booties and some baby socks you can use two needles.....I don't like using circular needles or dpn's either :(

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
I found a few patterns for flat knitted socks on Ravelry, but you are right. They are hard to find. I also googled flat knitted socks and two needle socks and found a few more patterns. Also search on KP as there was a post with websites for sock patterns. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

·
Registered
38,947 Posts
Look on you tube for magic loop method. I don't do my heel gussets the way the original magic loop book says to do it. When I get to the gusset part, I move my stitches so that the center front and back are now the division of the needles, instead of the sides of the sock. When I have all the decreases made, then I move them back to the side position and finish the sock. I never use double point needles anymore. Not even for hats. You can use almost any sock pattern for the magic loop method.

Have fun finding the method that works best for you.

Tami

·
Registered
910 Posts
It simply takes practice, the same as learning anything new. Once you have mastered DPNs, they don't seem any more difficult than standard knitting needles. Don't give up!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
540 Posts
When I teach people new to the 2 circular method, I get them to use 2 different circs of the same size. That way they know they have a pair of tips of the same needle. If you happen to knit all the stitches to one needle (which happens to the best of us) just slide them back onto the second needle. Also, make sure you pull the yarn tight after the second stitch on each needle. This prevents ladders. Once you've done a few pairs of socks, I think you will be able to use 2 circs with any pattern.

·
Registered
223 Posts
bantyone said:
I'd like to knit socks for babies, children and adults. I can sort of figure out the circular needles but not comfortable with them. It always seems to end up using dpns to finish projects. These I canNOT get to work no matter how hard I try. Anone got any tips or patterns for socks using the two needle way?
i use a single circular, 47", for 2 at a time sox. check your local library for Melissa Morgan-Oakes' book, Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks: Yet Another Revolution in Knitting Two at Once on One Circular Needle! for toe-up sox, & her book, 2 at a Time Socks if you prefer cuff-down.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
bantyone said:
Here is one, I hate using circular needles too

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/socks/no308-socks-pattern.html

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I would love to learn to knit socks, but cannot use dpns due to arthritis and carpal tunnel in my hands. However, I can't grasp how you would do socks using two circulars. Can someone please do a "Two Circulars for Dummies" explanation pleased? *No videos, I don't have speakers for my computer*

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom