Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advise from the great knitters on this site....I love to read all the posts. I want to make some socks for my sons who are flight nurses and wear the steel toed boots like guys who work outside do. They do not need heavy socks but thought a light weight wool would be good. Also machine washable. What would you recomend? and where would I get a free top down simple pattern. No design. :lol: thanks Barb from no snow on ground north Idaho.

· Registered
5,813 Posts
Any fingering (#2, sock weight), Superwash yarn would be good (not luxury yarns) in the proper color. Superwash is a wool yarn that is machine washable and dryable. Go to Ravelry or Knittingpatternscentral.com

You are looking for a basic sock pattern. And that is usually what they are called.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
StitchDesigner said:
Any fingering (#2, sock weight), Superwash yarn would be good (not luxury yarns) in the proper color. Superwash is a wool yarn that is machine washable and dryable. Go to Ravelry or Knittingpatternscentral.com

You are looking for a basic sock pattern. And that is usually what they are called.
:thumbup: thanks for the quick response.

· Registered
8 Posts
A word of caution from someone who has worn steel toe shoes. I wouldn't use a very expensive yarn. After having worn my steel toe shoes for a while, I wondered why I was getting holes in my socks. Come to find out, the padding inside the shoe underneath the steel toe had worn away. Hence the holes in the toes. I haven't found a way to prevent that. Maybe someone has some thoughts.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
there is a highly recommended book titled "getting started with knitting socks"...there are some patterns out there for making socks with KW...the thicker the wool the warmer the sock..but her shoes will need to be roomy.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
logcabin said:
A word of caution from someone who has worn steel toe shoes. I wouldn't use a very expensive yarn. After having worn my steel toe shoes for a while, I wondered why I was getting holes in my socks. Come to find out, the padding inside the shoe underneath the steel toe had worn away. Hence the holes in the toes. I haven't found a way to prevent that. Maybe someone has some thoughts.
if there is enough room stick some wool roving in there where the padding is gone..I read an article of someone doing this to refresh some wearing out Ogg boots. or are they called OOG? surely you know what I mean.

· Registered
991 Posts
Poledra65 said:
http://www.patonsyarns.com/search.php?P=2&advps=1&pspt=c&pst=&psub=&pss=&LGC=&cps=&ecm=

I made these as my first pair http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/self-striping-knit-socks
I've been wanting to try knitting socks, too, and will give the Red Heart pattern a try.

By the way, no snow here in Western Massachusetts either. We had a big storm on October 29th and nothing since.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom