Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry to post this question, but I cannot find what I saved yesterday or the day before. A KP angel gave some brief instructions on how to calculate the size for socks. I believe it was to measure the widest part of the foot and believe the calf, then divide the number, if I remember correctly, but I cannot find those very valuable instructions. Could someone point me into the right direction? My shoe size is 5, so those details are important to me. Thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
My question is how to make sure socks will fit it they are for a friend or relative - males in particular- when you dont have measurements.
I have a book with shoe sizes relating to length of sock but this just seems like guessing to me even if I have a shoe size. Do you have suggestions?

·
Registered
23,228 Posts
Nilda muniz said:
I am sorry to post this question, but I cannot find what I saved yesterday or the day before. A KP angel gave some brief instructions on how to calculate the size for socks. I believe it was to measure the widest part of the foot and believe the calf, then divide the number, if I remember correctly, but I cannot find those very valuable instructions. Could someone point me into the right direction? My shoe size is 5, so those details are important to me. Thank you so much for your help.
If you are knitting socks for yourself... Using the toe up method of sock knitting... you do not really need to know the size ahead of time. Once you have started the toe and have increased to 18 to 20 stitches on each instep and sole... start trying it on to see if it fits. I wear a size 9 shoe and I usually have a sock that fits perfectly at 24 stitches each side for a total of 48 stitches. That is using "sock" yarn and size 2 needle. Continue knitting and trying on until the sock reaches up to the front of the leg/ankle, then start your heel... continue to knit until the sock is the length you want.
Lifestyle toe up sock pattern ... not a pattern but a lifestyle.....Just Google Lifestyle Toe Up Sock and you will find it.
Jane

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
When I want to make socks for someone, I ask them to take their shoes off, place a piece of A4 paper under their foot and draw around it with a pencil. This way I get length and width. Works for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom