Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( You can surf for making them on two circular needles at once, perhaps the magic loop method would work, also and also surf for two-needle socks patterns.

When I make socks, booties, mittens, (Pairs), on two needles, I cast on both items (two skeins).

Donna Rae )))))))

Mimi-Crystal said:
Anyone have a pattern for making socks w/o using DP needles?

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
(((((((( You're welcome! Send in pics of the finished items, please.

If you're working over stockinette, slip the first stitch as to purl for a nice seam later (2-needle work and other stockinette applications).

Donna Rae ))))))))))

Mimi-Crystal said:
Thanks Donna Rae, I'll do that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll send pics...I'm already 2" into the cuff! My mother always wove her seams together so none of them ever showed..amazing. I always have trouble hiding my seams so we'll see how this goes. Thanks for the posting!!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
there is a great book you can find on Amazon.com, and I always buy used like new or in good condition, almost like new.

It is by Melissa Morgan-Oakes called 2 at a time socks and it is a spiral hardcover book with some basic plus other socks done on a magic loop circular two sock at once thing.

I paid 6.97 plus 3.99 S&H and love the book

·
Registered
576 Posts
You can also search the net for two circular needle socks. They are so much easier than the DPNs! Well, I have learned to use the DPNs finally. It did take a while. I also like the toe up socks. No seams at all! Wendy Johnson has some books on how to knit top down and she also has some free patterns on Ravelry.

·
Registered
9,462 Posts
wordpaintervs said:
there is a great book you can find on Amazon.com, and I always buy used like new or in good condition, almost like new.

It is by Melissa Morgan-Oakes called 2 at a time socks and it is a spiral hardcover book with some basic plus other socks done on a magic loop circular two sock at once thing.

I paid 6.97 plus 3.99 S&H and love the book
I also have the Melissa Morgan-Oakes books one for cuff down and one for toe up socks. LOVE doing two at a time and on just one needle. Got mine used for about the same price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
have you tried the two circular needle instead of four dp needles? I'm trying it for the first time and am liking lots more than the dp needles....knitty.com has a toe to top pattern using two circlular needles and a video is available to teach you the two needle knitting...I found it easy to follow and quick to pick up...issue Fall 2007....good luck!

·
Registered
576 Posts
These are pictures of my very first socks. They were made with worsted weight yarn and a bigger needle. They are bed socks and I made the cuff shorter on purpose. I love how they look and feel. They aren't the greatest to walk on without other socks on though. LOL I do love them!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Debbie, congratulations on having knitted your socks!! They look awesome.

I know how I felt when I knitted my first sock. I was so proud of myself that I wanted to run out to the street shouting; but I couldn't because it was in the middle of the night (thank goodness). I taught myself to knit socks, with written pattern and YouTube.com.

I love knitting sock. I'm always making them; in fact, I ususally have four or five different socks going at the same time. That way when I'm tired of the color I'm working with, I switch colors. No one cares how long it takes to get their socks, they know they're "on the way" so to speak.

Keep knitting, Debbie.

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
ZonaColleen, I love to knit sock and have used this pattern for the past three years for women's small, medium and large sizes... for men too, both medium and large sizes. It's from YarnMarket.com: http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Yarnmarket_Free-Ditto_Everyday_Socks_Free_DISCOD-4811.html

This pattern is for sockinette socks, but I have made many ribbed pattern socks (especially for men) with this same pattern. If you're interested in how I do that, let me know.

You can use this pattern to make anklet socks... just don't knit the leg part.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom