Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knit many baby blankets to give as shower gifts and am always wondering which yarn would give me the softest blanket. Since it's important for new moms to be able to machine wash and dry baby blankets, I use some form of acrylic yarn. I worry that because the yarn is not expensive that the blanket will pill.
So I am asking for a suggestion of which yarn to use that would look nice, feel soft and not pill. In addition, which acrylic and cotton combination yarns would work for a cuddly baby blanket?
I guess I am asking if you need to buy expensive yarn in order to knit a great baby blanket. Please advise

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
See notes in (((((((( )))))))))

chrystyna said:
I knit many baby blankets to give as shower gifts and am always wondering which yarn would give me the softest blanket. Since it's important for new moms to be able to machine wash and dry baby blankets, I use some form of acrylic yarn. I worry that because the yarn is not expensive that the blanket will pill.
So I am asking for a suggestion of which yarn to use that would look nice, feel soft and not pill.

((((((( Check out Baby Bee's 50-50% cotton-acrylic blend, available in a wide range of colors (even variegated) and isn't just for babies = about a #4 weight and similar to WW but has no nap (fuzz won't get into baby's face, etc.,) and is not likely to pill.

I'm now using it for cloths. Make baby size cloths, too = sweet!!!

Hobby Lobby sells this yarn, it's offered online, too + join their .com newsletter and receive 40% off coupons for in-store purchases + great deals and coupons when ordering online. They send out news letters two a month or so.

I'll never put WW on a baby ever again! LOL!! )))))))))

In addition, which acrylic and cotton combination yarns would work for a cuddly baby blanket?

((((((((( Baby Bee's would work for blankets (and most anything else for baby = warm, too.).....make them in all sizes. Mom's like a smaller size, too to use in a carriage or over a car set. )))))))))))

I guess I am asking if you need to buy expensive yarn in order to knit a great baby blanket. Please advise

((((((( No, expensive yarn isn't needed but a good yarn should be purchased.

ILTY (I Love This Yarn) is another possibility, it comes in WW, Sport Weight and also in cotton.

Good luck, HAND & TTYL!!!!

Donna Rae
~~~~~~~~~

·
Registered
271 Posts
My niece was given at least four afghans/blankets when she had her first child. The one the baby liked best was one made from Homespun. It's been washed many times, and while it does look a little worse for wear after 16 months, it's still in good shape overall.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I knit a lot of baby blankets for gifts and also charity. I usually knit with two strands of yarn. The combination I have been using a lot is Lion Brand Pound of Love and Bernat Baby Corduinates. These two yarns together make a very nice soft b/blanket.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I like to use Caron Simply Soft. Have done many baby blankets using this yarn. It seems to hold up very well, the colors are pretty, the moms like it, it's easy to care for and it's so very soft.

Let us know what you choose and be sure to post a picture of the finished item. Have fun.
Carol L.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bernat Softee Baby Yarn / Caron Simply Soft are the best yarns to use / they ARE soft and are ideal for Baby Blankets.
These two Name Brands are The Best.
Caron Country and Spa are Soooooooooooo Soft.
Also if you look for Bargains between A C Moore and Micheals
the PRICE also is unbeatable for these Yarns.
Ladies Do Not Forget / When one of these Stores has a Deal on the above Yarn tou can take the Dicounted Ad to the other Store and get their Yarn for the same Price, getting a larger selection of Colors
A C Moore had Caron Simply Soft Yarn for $2.00 then I went to Micheals.
Also Do Not forget about RAIN CHECKS.
You Can get all the soft yarn you want then and it is cheaper than buying CHEAP YARN.
Red Heart Shimmer was dicounted two weeks ago from $4.99
to $2.00. Discounts run for one week

Judy Virginia Beach

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all of the suggestions. I am currently making a baby blanket out of the Caron Simply Soft because a lady at Joanns recommended it highly. I just worry that it will pill. I will know more and report back after I machine wash and dry the blanket. In the meantime, I will look into some of the yarns suggested by others.
I have used Encore previously for baby sweaters but it does not feel soft enough for a blanket.
Thanks to all for the many suggestions!

·
Registered
9 Posts
acrylic yarns melt in fire, so I would recommend a washable wool or combo wool/cotton, rayon, linen, etc. Elann has beautiful yarns at great prices & Smiley's has washable wool at 2.99 per skein. They also have organic yarns for babies. I also am knitting a blanket for my future granddaughter & read that while cjildren's clothing are rated for flammability, yarns are not. When you think about it, I've used a lighter on a piece of yarn & it melts. Take this into consideration ladies!

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I once knit a blanket with acrylic yarn that didn't come out as soft as I expected it to and I was very disappointed. In desperation, I put it in the washer on small load with warm water and about a cup of fabric softener. I let it agitate and then stopped the washer and let it soak all night. The next morning I started the washer again (no soap) and let it rinse and spin out. After drying it in the dryer, it was immensely softer. Since then, I do it every time I make a baby blanket.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with LCGirl, I love Bernat Softee Baby too! If you want a thicker yarn the next best thing is Caron Simply Soft in a 4ply. If you are looking for a cotton soft yarn, I Like Red Heart, Cotton Tots. All of these yarns are economical and easy for the new mom to wash and dry! :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi!

I have used the Red Heart acrylic for many baby blankets, heard you can wash in shampoo & use conditioner to soften, have never done it, but someone wrote on it recently under this forum, don't know if they used it in machine or hand washed! The baby blankets I have made using dreft or Ivory laundry det. & descent fabric softner they turn out real nice & very durable!!! Someone just wrote on this forum to throw a new skein in machine & wash will be soft or wash finished project! I don't know how you would throw whole skein in & wash, wouldn't it tangle, not sure, just question!

I recently found Bernat Baby Sport yarn & very soft & durable, also acrylic!

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Knit picks Shine -[ cotton and modal] is soft, machine washable and has bright colors. I have used Shine in sport weight and it made a nice baby blanket. I haven't used the Knit Picks Comfy, though I have used webs, valley yarns-
Longmeadow, a cotton acrylic mix. The mix was soft and more elastic than 100% cotton. If i am making a gift/relative blanket then I like to get a nicer yarn. For pure acrylic Bernat Satin is another nice, soft and slightly shiny - I made a chemo cap out it. It's a #3 so slightly lighter than simply soft.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A question along the same lines. I am knitting a baby blanket for my first grand. I 'm using Lion Brand Organic Cotton in the lovely Petit Four color. I'm new at this and, after reading some of the great info on this forum, I'm a little concerned that this 100% cotton yarn may be a disaster for upkeep and keeping its shape. It's so pretty in the fans and feathers pattern and so soft. Has anyone used this yarn? As always, thank you all. Wish we could have a convention!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom