Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One NICU hospital is asking for 'college' football colors this time of year which don't come in baby colors...they have Red Heart team spirit yarn that is perfect and the right thickness but a bit rough. We aren't suppose to use anything with smells to it because it's for babies. Any ideas how I can soften the whole skein or the finished hats and blankets? Finding the yarn was exciting until it arrived and I started using it. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Simply soft comes in all of the school colors - spirit yarn is really too rough and I think the stripes would be too wide for baby hats.
I send baby hats to a hospital and every September I make the hats in
the local school colors.
I think it's a cute idea!

·
Premium Member
5,984 Posts
I have also heard that the colors bleed and come off while knitting with the RH yarn. It also doesn't soften after washing so I think going with Simply Soft is the way to go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for all the knowledge and experience you've shared. My only problem is the colors for the team are gold and black and they don't come in Simply soft which is also my favorite.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Simply Soft comes in a Mango which could easily pass for gold and
i'm pretty sure they also make a black . I bought some ages ago and because I only use bits and pieces of it I have thrown away the wrapper. Maybe there is another soft black somewhere.
Look up Herschners site and see if they have a black Simply Soft--t hey seem to have quite a few of the colors.
I also bought a Simply soft Sunshine yellow - but I like the mango better.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Yes Simply Soft comes in a gold and black. And is perfect for baby things .

If you use the harsher yarn give them a vinegar rinse. It softens and leaves no smell.
smilindeb said:
Thanks so much for all the knowledge and experience you've shared. My only problem is the colors for the team are gold and black and they don't come in Simply soft which is also my favorite.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
smilindeb said:
One NICU hospital is asking for 'college' football colors this time of year which don't come in baby colors...they have Red Heart team spirit yarn that is perfect and the right thickness but a bit rough. We aren't suppose to use anything with smells to it because it's for babies. Any ideas how I can soften the whole skein or the finished hats and blankets? Finding the yarn was exciting until it arrived and I started using it. Thanks for any suggestions.
i saw someplace? where if you take the label off the skein and put your hands inside,and stir up things inside to loosen the insides, then put it in the washer. it didn't say whether to put any softener in. never tried it don't know if it works. maybe someone can do this with a skein they don't particularly like!!! Herrschners also has Red Heart Soft,Red Heart With Love,TLC Essentials,Deborah Norville Everyday and Premier Ever Soft. their catalog has lots to choose from.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Because of my cat I wash always wash things to be donated and use unscented detergent and unscented fabric softener. It will soften Red Heart (or any) yarn and make it comfy and cozy. You can also dry it with unscented fabric softener sheets for an added boost, but I didn't find that necessary. Another thing that softens knitted items is just to steam them thoroughly. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much. Am looking for the simply soft but have so much of the Red Heart so I'll try both tricks tonight. I get into a project and get carried away. They need the hats etc to be mailed by the last week of Aug so I hope to get at least something to send by then. Did find the simply soft, thanks for the color help. This group is a godsend!
Thanks! Deb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom