Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has never happened to me before. Am knitting an afghan on Susan Bates size 17 circular needles. All of a sudden the cable breaks away from the needle. Does anyone know of a safe way or safe glue to reattach the cable to the needle? Don't want to continue for fear of it breaking mid row & dropping stitches. Thanx for any & all suggestions.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Susan Bates needles are basically a step up from Boye (scrapping bottom). Go buy a new needle. There are too many types of not so expensive, good ones out there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just finished knitting an afghan on Susan Bates #17 and had the same problem. I had to keep screwing the cable into the needle every 3 or 4 rows. I used super glue, wiped it off really smooth and did it again. It seemed to hold, but will definitely get another one before starting another project. Good luck!!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I bought a whole set of bamboo cable needles that were VERY expensive. I can't remember the brand. I'm in work but if anyone's interested I'll check when I get home tonight. Anyway, I was working on my flat teddy bear pattern and the cable broke. It didn't break off at the needle end, it just snapped. I managed to pick up the stitches - a little difficult because I'm using Fun Fur yarn. I wrote to the company telling them what happened - first time using the needle, etc. They said that because it was close to a year since I had purchased the needles, they would not refund the money or replace the needle. Needless to say, I was not happy. I've NEVER had that problem using inexpensive needles and I'll not be purchasing expensive ones again.

·
Registered
27,124 Posts
I have purposely used crazy glue to hold interchangeable needles on the cable. Has been holding great for a couple years. I applaud you for trying to fix what you have and not throwing it away into the landfill. jinx

·
Registered
13,834 Posts
I consider Clover metal circulars lower than Boye circulars! I don't like the little bump after the needle on the Clover circular. Yes, I do have one Clover circular..am I going to buy another. NO!

·
Registered
15,399 Posts
I too have had this problem. Although crazy glue will fix the problem and with a light sanding keep the yarn from getting caught, I would still use a life line every few rows. Just in case it breaks again.

·
Super Moderator
20,264 Posts
lannieb said:
I would consider gluing them a temporary fix, then I would get another better pair.
I have needles that my husband used Epoxy to fix them and they have been used for many years that way. They never come apart after that. I've also have new needles that came apart right out of the package, so newer isn't always better.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
to those that used the epoxy, is there a certain kind that should be used? then I will be prepared in case I need it.

·
Registered
20,519 Posts
Billings said:
This has never happened to me before. Am knitting an afghan on Susan Bates size 17 circular needles. All of a sudden the cable breaks away from the needle. Does anyone know of a safe way or safe glue to reattach the cable to the needle? Don't want to continue for fear of it breaking mid row & dropping stitches. Thanx for any & all suggestions.
I would toss them & get a new one. Our knitting is too important to us to take a chance on a needle repair & all the aggravation that will probably come with it. You will constantly worry if the needle will break again & that will take all the enjoyment out of your knitting.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
patko said:
I would get a new needle. Even the smallest rough place can be detrimental to the yarn. Life is too short to knit with bad needles.
they're susan bates, they are born with a rough join..........i have used plumber's tape on my few susan bates circulars. they weren't broken just couldn't get stitches past the join.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom