Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are at Waikerie in the Riverland of South Australia and have only been completed in the last 2 years. The Yabby is a fresh water crayfish found in the Murray River and most inland waters. The abstract painting of Cockatoos and Pelicans is indicative of just some of the myriad of bird life along the River which we have indulged in over the past 2 weeks with so much delight. Cockatoos are quite destructive actually and destroy telegraph lines throughout the outback and are known to pull windscreen wipers off cars. At the caravan park where we stayed during the recent Covid lockdown they were in plague proportions and pest controllers were employed to shoot penny bungers into the air to scare them away. Morning and night it sounded like shotguns going off but they were only loud noises to deter the birds away without harming them. As for the Silo..there is a site on FB called The Painted Silos of Australia ..which gives a guided tour up until 2018. Last year I watched an artist in Qld painting an old lady in a hat on the side of a Silo. It takes around 140 hrs and 150 litres of paint to complete the entire project but the result is outstanding!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes they most certainly are! I spoke to an artist in Qld, last year, who was painting an old lady in a hat,on a Silo and he said they work the painting out on paper..divide it into grids..then work out the size of the grid in relation to the Silo and paint it on it from there. It is stunning and totally time consuming!!!

Cashmere-Cat said:
Amazing, how clever they are to be able to paint on a large scale.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
I love the silo paintings. I have photos of a couple of them. Thanks for posting the photos Christine. Jen.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Christine and Jen, Thank you very much for sharing these amazing paintings with all of us. They are a new experience for me and I am thrilled to have seen them. Stay safe, healthy, test negative a d think happy thoughts. ????????????????❤

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom