Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear KP Friends -

I have supported our Library's Mitten Tree for many years, with items made from good, serviceable (washable) acrylic.

Over the past two years, I have contributed (separately) items made with my "nicer" yarn, for inclusion in the gift baskets the Library puts up for bid during their fundraisers. These are the "dry-flat" items or those containing wool, and I've included hand-written care tags on these, with fiber content and instructions.

The fundraisers were cancelled for 2020, but I was pleased to see the mitten tree up when I visited the Library yesterday. There was some nice stuff on it, too. Made by people with similar taste, stash and skill as me...

A closer look revealed these were the "nicer" items I had donated! I did not check to see if the "care labels" were still attached.

Now, I know these items are "theirs" now, and they can do with them what they please. But we know that fiber content can mean a lot. If it's included in a gift basket, the bidder may (may) read the tag and treat accordingly. Anyone else will throw that Knitpicks Palette 100% wool scarf in the wash, and it will felt and shrink to child-size.

I understand these items could have been hung on the Mitten Tree as an incentive..."C'mon, don't be shy, hang some stuff here, other people have". But how can I tactfully make sure?

Or should I bother...just hang my normal acrylic items in with the rest, and trust the Library staff to remember what goes where.

Any advice is appreciated.

Enjoy your day and be well.

·
Registered
39,111 Posts
I would let them know these items are not machine washable and see what they say. Ask them if you could sell them and then donate the money to the library. Good luck and thank you for being a volunteer!

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
I really understand what you are saying, after all the work we put and the expense we would like to see the items being taken care. On the other hand a real wise person told me once, that once it is given, it is out of my care. I don’t own it any longer. My intentions are good, what the recipient does is their concern, not mine any longer. That lesson gave me peace and since then I take heed.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Can you write out the instructions on a small piece of paper or something then attach it to the item with a piece of yarn?
I don't know why the library wouldn't let you add it, especially if you have the label in hand.

·
Registered
15,271 Posts
I think I would check to see if the tags are attached, then have a word with the head librarian, explaining you want the program to be a success, but if not properly cared for the items will be unusable after the first “wash” and will not result in good feelings toward the program. Possibly offer to provide tags if you wish, but then bid by their decision.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
The tags were probably removed by someone who doesn't understand about yarn shrinking.

I would politely approach someone in charge and nicely explain why they had tags on and if someone unknowingly washes them and they shrink it will reflect badly on the charity. I understand where you're coming from but convincing them it's for their benefit would be more effective.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
We as knitters do understand your dilemma....but now that the mittens are on the tree (washing info or not) you are not in control anymore & telling someone at the library wouldn't matter...
There is nice acrylic out there & that is what you might want to consider for future knitting & then have no worries....

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
They need to know those items are not machine washable and dry-able. Otherwise there are going to be some very disappointed children and parents after the first washing. I agree about calling and explaining the issue. Maybe offer to replace the “special care” mittens with washable mittens for the tree if they are not going to hold the basket type auction this year.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have been a librarian for 30+ years. I agree that the items and care tags were probably inadvertently separated, and a quick chat with the branch manager would absolutely be the best first step. The library would not want a recipient to have a bad experience. Once the library staff has the info, they can decide whether to go ahead and give out your lovely items (at least at my home library, not all recipients of the Mitten Tree are homeless, just in need,) return them to you, or someone else suggested selling them and donating the funds.

On behalf of libraries everywhere, thanks for supporting your local Mitten Trees!

·
Registered
19,010 Posts
I agree with the others as to speaking to someone about the care tags. Tell them you won't be asking for the mittens back, just that you want to be sure the recipient knows these will require special care. If they feel special care is an issue, then perhaps they will return them to you and as someone suggested, you can try to sell them and donate the $. Or, the library can hold onto them until next year when baskets will be allowed again. Many thanks for your kind donations.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I would tell them.

I would also make sure the paper or card used for the care instructions was hard to rip off and tied with a piece of string or ribbon (many knots).

Thank you for volunteering.

·
Registered
40,922 Posts
k2p3-knit-on said:
The tags were probably removed by someone who doesn't understand about yarn shrinking.

I would politely approach someone in charge and nicely explain why they had tags on and if someone unknowingly washes them and they shrink it will reflect badly on the charity. I understand where you're coming from but convincing them it's for their benefit would be more effective.
I agree..

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
The people who added them to the tree are possibly not knitters and not familiar with care of some of the yarns. I would check to see if the care labels are with the items. If not I would have a word with the head librarian.
Even though they are no longer yours I'm sure they would appreciate knowing how the items should be cared for.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I donate items to several silent auction fund raisers each tear. I always include care and yarn content information and NEVER donate anything that cannot be machine washed and dried.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Personally, I would probably only donate things done in cheaper acrylic, from this day forward!! I think that there are many people just looking to buy something warm to wear and not appreciating the costs and work that went into making things. Of course, there are people who recognize the time and value, but this is a different generation and there are more of those who have no idea. I would save the more expensive articles for family and friends. A few years back, I made a ski sweater for my son. It was my own design, a lot of work and made from Lopi yarn. Not cheap. He loved it. He had a college friend ask if he could borrow it. You've probably guessed where I'm going with this. The fellow washed it before returning. He had no idea that it was 100% wool. He offered to replace, but it was not replaceable.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Could it be possible that who ever had the winning bid on baskets in past years never used the mittens and has donated them back to the library for the mitten tree? I would think that it shouldn't bend anyone's nose out of joint if you nicely told them that this or that pair of mittens was knit out of a yarn that needs special care.

·
Registered
56 Posts
PLEASE tell the librarian, QUICKLY!
Everyone is on the same page here...to provide some comfort and joy to others.
When alerted to the problem, the librarian can then decide how best to proceed. To give out the mittens without providing special care instructions is almost a cruel practical trick...giving something and then taking it away by rendering It useless.
The librarian will be appreciative.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom