Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever discovered a yarn that could be added to the yarn used to make the sole of knitted slippers? I was hoping to find something elasticized??? Thanks! (I really don't want to sew soles onto them). THANKS!!!

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
You could knit in some elastic thread. It might give you some grip. Some people have used puff fabric paint, which is made to be washable. I bought some, but haven't tried it.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Dots of low melt hot glue, puff paint (put it on lightly until you see how it works), "Dip-It" a rubbery substance used to coat tool handles and some craft store sell actual soles if you wish to go that route.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have an old Zimmerman knitting book ('Knitting Around' by Elizabeth Zimmerman)...and she makes several suggestions to reinforce heels and toes, or whole soles of slippers: strong sewing thread, embroidery floss, fish line (but not too thick as it may cut through the wool), and even dental floss. These would be knitted with the yarn, of course. I haven't tried any of these as yet, but pass on the information.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Try dots or strips of clear silicone available in tubes at any hardware store. My husband has mobility issues since having had a number of strokes, and I tried this for him. It works and is washable.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What about the foam insoles for shoes the ones with foam that is on the down side in ones shoe could one glue the shiney or foot side to the slipper with the foam side out to the slipper ? Seems liek Ihave seen or read about specific items some place just for the slippers we make maybe some co like mary maxim is they are still in business or the like or google soles of knitit slippers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't laugh, I use rubber bands; either around the toe (it helps to keep the slipper on) or I cut it in half and knit it into the sole of the slipper. Got the idea from my grandmother who used them around her boots to prevent slipping on ice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ive just bought a small bottle of Latex from Abakhan,especialy for soles of socks and slippers,half price in the sale!just add it to the soles and dry it with a hair dryer or leave it overnight.It's called 'Regia ABS Latex', by Coates.
'

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
I make lots of slippers and have used the puffy paint, hot glue and the like to put on the bottom of the slippers.

Recently I discovered something similar to "dip it" as DeeDeeF described. It is made for replacing rubber tool handles and can be found in the paint aisle of your hardware store. It comes in paint form (can) or in a spray can.

I prefer to use masking tape to cover the edges of the slippers and spray two coats on the bottom. This stays on longer and looks MUCH neater than the dots of glue or puffy paint.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Leisel said:
Don't laugh, I use rubber bands; either around the toe (it helps to keep the slipper on) or I cut it in half and knit it into the sole of the slipper. Got the idea from my grandmother who used them around her boots to prevent slipping on ice.
Actually, that sounds like a good idea! Wonder how it would be also knitted into ribbing. Going to try both ideas!!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Use the search function and read old posts on this. I wish I had a dollar for every time this question came up on this forum. But the question, like the Energizer Bunny, keeps being asked and asked and asked and asked.......

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Cindy M said:
Use the search function and read old posts on this. I wish I had a dollar for every time this question came up on this forum. But the question, like the Energizer Bunny, keeps being asked and asked and asked and asked.......
.....and probably will as long as people keep making slippers and haven't read the previous posts. They change ever day or two, and if you miss a few days you miss it entirely. Some people forget.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom