Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a pair of socks done for christmas and thought in my infinite wisdom since I had a book with pictures on how to do socks 2 @ a time I would try. Does anyone have any tips on how to get started I have all my stitches cast on both ends of my 40 inch Addi Rockets and I have one row knit on one end and if I read the book correctly I do the other sock the same way But I am confused as to how to join the two halves into a whole sock if you get my drift.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
I would have one circular for the top of leg/foot and the other one for the bottom/back.

Depending on your heel choice you may need an additional 24-36 inch for temporary heel work.

My method is 2 circulars per sock with a short row heel/toe...stitched from cuff to toe (top down?).

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
barbara97801 said:
I am trying to get a pair of socks done for christmas and thought in my infinite wisdom since I had a book with pictures on how to do socks 2 @ a time I would try. Does anyone have any tips on how to get started I have all my stitches cast on both ends of my 40 inch Addi Rockets and I have one row knit on one end and if I read the book correctly I do the other sock the same way But I am confused as to how to join the two halves into a whole sock if you get my drift.
Magic Loop is the way to go. Are you working cuff down or toe up?
Google the style you are working adding the terms two at a time, Magic Loop.
You should find several videos, including how tocast on, and how to work the stitches. Using a long (I prefer 40") circulat needle, working toe up. The method has a cast on of half total number of stitches for instep on sock 1, half stitches for sock 2 , the move those stitches to the other side of the cable of your circular...cast on remaining stitches for sock 2, keeping little to no space between stitches of each side (instep and heel side) then cast on heel side stitches for sock 1. There should be a fairly large loop of cable between instep sides of socks and heel sides...hence called Magic Loop. Watching a video or two will show you exactly how the process works. My favorite method is Two At A Time, Toe Up. My favorite pattern is Fish Lips Kiss Heel, only $1.00 through Ravelry, which can be worked either toe up or cuff down for easiest heel ever. A free pattern for easy short row heels is Lifestyle Toe Up Socks...with no W&T short rows.
I find it easiest to work TAAT, keeping one ball of yarnon my right and one on my left ...be sure to keep the yarn on the correct side so when you turn the work the yarns do not twist. (It took me many pairs, twisting over and over, and unwitting over and over before I finally figure out how to prevent all that wasted
effort).
Good luck.
Good luck.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It depends on whether you are working toe up or cuff down. I usually do two at a time, toe up. I also use Judy's Magic Cast On so that the toe starts off closed (no need to graft with Kitchner later). I use two circular needles and cast on for one sock using both needles; immediately after that I cast on for the other sock (just to the left of the one already started) using another ball of yarn, again using both needles.

At this point, you have both socks started, each attached to a ball of working yarn.

You might find it helpful to find a Youtube video so you can see what it looks like.

·
Registered
17,795 Posts
Nilda muniz said:
Thanks so much for this video. I have been wanting to knit two at a time and this has given me the courage to give it a try.
You are welcome. I do mine cuff down there are videos for toe up too. I prefer cuff down. If casting on like they show does not work, I use to cast on and knit 1 cuff then on another needle cast on and knit the second cuff then put them on one needle in position to knit 2 at a time. Here is a video for that. I use to do it that way.

Happy knitting. ????

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
and understand, you don't need this method to accomplish 2 at a time...I use 9 dpns, 4 in each sock and 1 for my hand. I do either 3 lines at a time, or 1 color change at a time...then replicate that with the other sock. For me, the whole magic thing just never worked, I've been using dpns for 60 years, so I just continue with this method.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I like this idea of yours. I have wanted to try TAAT since I read about it when I first joined KP, but the whole circular needles trick "left me cold"! Your suggestion here, at least I can mentally visualize what you are doing so thank you so much! I have just finished a pair of socks where 2nd sock syndrome hit me big time! ????????????

deemail said:
and understand, you don't need this method to accomplish 2 at a time...I use 9 dpns, 4 in each sock and 1 for my hand. I do either 3 lines at a time, or 1 color change at a time...then replicate that with the other sock. For me, the whole magic thing just never worked, I've been using dpns for 60 years, so I just continue with this method.

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
I don't really do mine TAAT by the book. If I want to use up all the yarn equally, I knit the first sock toe up to past the heel and then put them on hold. Then I knit the second sock to the same point and can easily see how they fit onto one circular so that I'm working on both at the same rate. If I'm trying to match them exactly, I knit one, making a note of where it starts and then start the 2nd one at the same place after I've finished the first one.

I find the truly TAAT more moving around than doing one time. And, heaven forbid if you have to frog back! To each her own.

·
Registered
14,460 Posts
deemail said:
I do something similar, but I use the 12" circulars and do a section of one, then the other, back and forth until both are finished. I was developing Second Sock Syndrome, so this has worked well for me. ????

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Make sure in the first row after your cast on that you are knitting in the back stitches on the 2nd needle, not the first. The [email protected] time will come to you a lot quicker than you think. you don't join each sock in the round. You just keep knitting each side around and around.

·
Registered
23,222 Posts
deemail said:
Not exactly the usual definition of Two At A Time....but if it works for you.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I've found that using two separate balls of yarn is easier than using the inside and outside of one ball. Just work across the first sock, drop that yarn. Pick up yarn from ball numer two, knit across sock number two.... Magic Loop and repeat across back side............Magic Loop and you're ready to do the next round.

OR rather than Magic Loop, use two circular needles----------one for the fronts, one for the backs. 40" might be a bit too short for 2 socks doing Magic Loop.

·
Registered
13,787 Posts
mellowearth said:
I've found that using two separate balls of yarn is easier than using the inside and outside of one ball. Just work across the first sock, drop that yarn. Pick up yarn from ball numer two, knit across sock number two.... Magic Loop and repeat across back side............Magic Loop and you're ready to do the next round.

OR rather than Magic Loop, use two circular needles----------one for the fronts, one for the backs. 40" might be a bit too short for 2 socks doing Magic Loop.
I previously recommended the 2 matched size mm circulars. Thanks for the length warning on Magic Loop requirement. I don't use it but I can pass along the tip to other people asking. :sm24:

·
Registered
93,689 Posts
I love 2 at a time magic loop, I used to always do toe up but have many patterns for top down that I did try toe up but they work better with top down.....i had to look online how to cast on for both top down magic loop, once you work out the best method for you it gets easier after a few rounds with either way ...just make sure you keep your 2 balls if yarn desperate they can get tangled

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
deemail said:
That is the way I do it too. I don't have circular needles small enough for fine sock yarns. They are harder to find in local yarn shops. Have ordered some from Amazon to give it a try but I really like my dpns. :sm01:

·
Registered
52,623 Posts
ChristineM said:
I like this idea of yours. I have wanted to try TAAT since I read about it when I first joined KP, but the whole circular needles trick "left me cold"! Your suggestion here, at least I can mentally visualize what you are doing so thank you so much! I have just finished a pair of socks where 2nd sock syndrome hit me big time! ????????????
The best way to ensure I don't finish a pair of socks is to do TAAT! Unlike many people the finishing a sock and starting a second is much more of an encouragement than getting half way through the knitting and having achieved nothing. Half of 2 socks doesn't leave me with any sense of having achieved anything so likely to leave the two (so no 2nd sock syndrome but only becuase I don't finish the first!). Whereas I normally go straight on and start the second sock.
And it just seems to take so much longer to work-but this may be psychological.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom