Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I thought I made my sox the right size but after finishing it it's too snug. It should be longer. I am terrified about ripping out the toe part and adding on. I have not done much ripping out in my knitting "career". Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,997 Posts
You can take a smaller needle size and feed it thru picking up the left leg (or right - whichever size is easier) of each knit stitch in a row below the toe.

Or try a doing the same with needle and waste yarn in a different, contrasting color.

Whichever of these 2 is easier. That will give you a life line in which to frog to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,891 Posts
Have you ever tried knitting socks from the toe up. This way you can try the foot part of the sock on before you need to turn the heel and then you won't have to worry about the sock being too tight. You can also make the leg length whatever you want as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
813 Posts
I knit socks from the top down and on dp needles. When I get to the place for lenghth, I either use a ready made sock, measuring length or try the sock on. Capping all ends of the dp needles first so you don't drop stitches, then put on like putting on the sock and then you can tell how much farther you need to go before starting your toe. I love sock making!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Patricia368 said:
. . . try the sock on. Capping all ends of the dp needles first so you don't drop stitches, then put on like putting on the sock and then you can tell how much farther you need to go before starting your toe. I love sock making!!
Oh, I thought that was my secret method -- I love trying on my partly done socks! I know exactly where they need to reach before doing my standard toe decreases.

Take Joy,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Won't fix this problem but measure a sock that fits and use those measurements. Sometimes just measuring a used (worn but not washed) will get you the right length.
Another sock knitter has made a template of each family member sock out of posterboard and just tries on the template.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Hannelore said:
Have you ever tried knitting socks from the toe up. This way you can try the foot part of the sock on before you need to turn the heel and then you won't have to worry about the sock being too tight. You can also make the leg length whatever you want as well.
I make socks from the top down on two circulars (two socks at a time). When I get to the point where I think they are about long enough to start decreasing for the toe, I slide the stitches to the center of the needles and try them on. Works fine, and you never have to worry about the length being wrong!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,891 Posts
barbtobias2012 said:
Hannelore said:
Have you ever tried knitting socks from the toe up. This way you can try the foot part of the sock on before you need to turn the heel and then you won't have to worry about the sock being too tight. You can also make the leg length whatever you want as well.
I make socks from the top down on two circulars (two socks at a time). When I get to the point where I think they are about long enough to start decreasing for the toe, I slide the stitches to the center of the needles and try them on. Works fine, and you never have to worry about the length being wrong!
I have never thought of doing that before. Thanks for the tip. Will have to try that with the next pair of socks I make. I have learnt something new.
:thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
I always get a drawing of the person's foot. I measure it and then subtract 1 1/2 inches from the foot measurement. This is the length I knit until I begin the toe decrease. It works every time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,632 Posts
pat kapolka said:
Hi. I thought I made my sox the right size but after finishing it it's too snug. It should be longer. I am terrified about ripping out the toe part and adding on. I have not done much ripping out in my knitting "career". Any thoughts or suggestions will be much appreciated.
I always try on my socks to make sure I have the correct length. I don't worry about the number of rows or inches, I simply try them on and see how much more I need to knit before I begin the toe. "Toe-up" socks are not the only socks that can be tried on for fit. I have been trying on top-down socks for size since my first sock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to let you know that I was able to fix my too short sox with your suggestions!!! I put in a lifeline right under where I started decreasing for the toe and nervously ripped out up to there. It was very easy =)! Then I added on the extra length I needed and then finished it. It looked great! And best of all they were a surprise gift for my granddaughter who absolutely loved them!!! She put them on right away and showed them to her girlfriends who also loved them!!! Thank you so much for rescuing me! <3
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom