Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Discussion starter · #1 ·
I was emptying my dehumidifier to carry the water out to my garden (drought-why waste it down the drain?) and poured some into a gallon milk jug for my steam iron. Now I don't have to buy it! Some irons don't require distilled water, mine is like that, but my water is so hard here that everything limes up. So, it may save only a couple of bucks but it's one less thing you have to buy. You could also use the water for your house plants. Does anyone else have ideas about how to use the water? My machine produces about 2 gallons a day. That's a lot of water in the air!

We use it to flush our toilet and save water that way. Also have rain barrels all over to collect water for our three veggie gardens and three flower gardens.

I would be interested in know what kind of dehumidifyer you have.. I live on the coast and our air is actually damp.. if I run my hand under the couch its slightly damp. I have to fight mildew all the time.. I am boggled at the idea of 2 gallons a day.. you must have the same issues I have with our weather... It is actually at times like sitting in the middle of a cloud..

Best yet is my friend in Bodega Bay, CA. She lives on what was, originally, a commune. Has the cutest little wood cottage on a hill. She saves all of her bath water and runs it through a tub filled with water hyacinths. It purifies the water and then she siphons it back through a solar water heater and bathes in it again. She said she has had the same bath water for 4 years now. Naturally, all of this is outside in some of the most beautiful country on earth, above San Francisco. I would love to live there.

We probably all waste water. We have so much of it someone should think of a way of sharing it round the world. We would like some of your sun and lovely warm air. It's been a very wet summer this year for us

Ladies, you all need to watch the movie, Tapped. It is about the bottled water industry. We do all we can to conserve water and never buy it, except from our local municipality. Water is our most precious resource.

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Ronie said:
I would be interested in know what kind of dehumidifyer you have.. I live on the coast and our air is actually damp.. if I run my hand under the couch its slightly damp. I have to fight mildew all the time.. I am boggled at the idea of 2 gallons a day.. you must have the same issues I have with our weather... It is actually at times like sitting in the middle of a cloud..
I'm not sure, I think it's from WallyWorld but I run it in the basement. I'd be scared to run it upstairs! I couldn't empty it fast enough. It's been dry enough here for the last few weeks that I haven't had humidity problems, when I do I kick on the AC!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom