Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the blending boards and wondering if anyone has experience using them and what your recommendation is. They seem to have a lap size and tabletop. Do you like them? Easy to use?

Maybe it is because I am tired......so after posting this, I am going to bed......I am a bit bummed at the pricing of spinning tools and that they don't seem to put them on much of a sale. The blending boards are cheaper than the drums but still, they are not cheap which I guess is relative since expensive to me may well be cheap to someone else.

·
Registered
13,836 Posts
Cdambro said:
I am looking at the blending boards and wondering if anyone has experience using them and what your recommendation is. They seem to have a lap size and tabletop. Do you like them? Easy to use?

Maybe it is because I am tired......so after posting this, I am going to bed......I am a bit bummed at the pricing of spinning tools and that they don't seem to put them on much of a sale. The blending boards are cheaper than the drums but still, they are not cheap which I guess is relative since expensive to me may well be cheap to someone else.
Speaking of cost...check out Petsmart...dog grooming tools. There are the larger slicker brush/combs that are $15-20+ per comb/brush. I'm considering 2 myself as they are of large size...not the cat slicker brushes (1x2-2.5 inch). I went in earlier last week and gave a good hard look at all slicker brush/combs for the roving I have. Let me know how your search has progressed.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kaixixang said:
Speaking of cost...check out Petsmart...dog grooming tools. There are the larger slicker brush/combs that are $15-20+ per comb/brush. I'm considering 2 myself as they are of large size...not the cat slicker brushes (1x2-2.5 inch). I went in earlier last week and gave a good hard look at all slicker brush/combs for the roving I have. Let me know how your search has progressed.
I actually did buy the dog brushes for carding and they work good. I got mine at Walmart for just under $5 each. I also saw someone using those angel food cake cutters and they are great for combing fleece. Just started using them. That has been a huge help. Little by little.......

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Oh I know about $ I try and keep the cost down to. I put away pennies change and $1 in a jar so I can purchase things I need as to not touch the house money. I use coupons all the time. I did see on a topic some one made a blending board she bought the needle material on ebay and stapled it to a board. It was less expensive but I'm not sure how it lasted. Paradise fibers sends me coupons all the time and when you purchase you receive points for every $1 you can now trade those points in for gift cards to use. I have I think $20 off just have to figure what I want as I have to be selective my jar is only half full. lol lol

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Magicnymph said:
I have heard to make a blending board you need to buy the "machine carder" cloth and staple it to a flat board... would think it would last a long time, though how cheep the cloth is I would not even guess.
I thought I saw the cloth for $50+ and then you need the board and I figure if it doesn't hold up, I will spend more in the long run. Lol. The boards themselves seem to be 120-150.00. Give or take. So, I will see down the road what I can get.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mama879 said:
Oh I know about $ I try and keep the cost down to. I put away pennies change and $1 in a jar so I can purchase things I need as to not touch the house money. I use coupons all the time. I did see on a topic some one made a blending board she bought the needle material on ebay and stapled it to a board. It was less expensive but I'm not sure how it lasted. Paradise fibers sends me coupons all the time and when you purchase you receive points for every $1 you can now trade those points in for gift cards to use. I have I think $20 off just have to figure what I want as I have to be selective my jar is only half full. lol lol
That's an idea. I actually have some saved change I am cashing in. Lol. So many stores are offering the points now and it all helps.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I made my own blending board. Ordered the blending cloth from Nickelbee Arts and Supplies on Etsy. Be sure to get blending cloth and not carding cloth. It was $50-60. Got a cutting board for under $15. Used tack nails to attach. (NO GLUE--does something to the blending cloth). It is easy to use and holding up very well. I blend on the board then draw off with a diz for roving. Still $$ but not $$$ like they want for finished ones.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nellig said:
I made my own blending board. Ordered the blending cloth from Nickelbee Arts and Supplies on Etsy. Be sure to get blending cloth and not carding cloth. It was $50-60. Got a cutting board for under $15. Used tack nails to attach. (NO GLUE--does something to the blending cloth). It is easy to use and holding up very well. I blend on the board then draw off with a diz for roving. Still $$ but not $$$ like they want for finished ones.
That sounds great! Thank you. I already have a cutting board that doesn't get used so just need the blending cloth. What size blending cloth or are they just one size? Finished ones seem to be lap or table top.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Cdambro said:
That sounds great! Thank you. I already have a cutting board that doesn't get used so just need the blending cloth. What size blending cloth or are they just one size? Finished ones seem to be lap or table top.
The blending cloth is 12x12 and the cutting board is 14 1/2x14 1/2. I watched several videos about making a blending board before I proceeded. One says to use glue--DONT!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom