Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a video on YouTube where a women was spinning from her sheep. My question is, does this hurt the sheep? Would it be like someone spinning hair off of your head? I think it would hurt.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
What. I founf out last year, is that there is a certain breed(s) of sheep that actually shed their coats over a short time frame. Thus allowing the coat to be spun right off the sheep. I think it would be less traumatic than shearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nellig said:
There are certain sheep that the wool is pulled off instead of cut off. It's called rooing. Maybe this was the kind of sheep she was spinning from. Can you give us a link to the video?
Looks like that is what it is. Here is the link.
The sheep looked a little uncomfortable, so that is why I thought it hurt.
Thank you. I would have never known.

·
Registered
12,259 Posts

·
Registered
11,515 Posts
Some Shetlands roo very nicely. There is a break in the fleece from one year to the next and if you time it just right, the sheep still has a light coating of wool to protect from sun as the new coat grows out. I have roo-ed several sheep when they began looking scruffy before shearing and the wool came away easily and they didn't mind at all. I just got 2 Shetland Cheviots that are 3/4 Shetland and it will be interesting to see if they can be rooed. I don't know of other breeds that do this.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oh my gosh....camel. I have a tale--my husband's younger cousin recently married a sweet young lady from Mongolia.. Her parents came here for a visit---they don't speak English, but at a family gathering, with she serving as interpreter, I had a "discussion" with her Dad---it seems some of the family in Mongolia raises camels, and I asked about the wool, what's it like, etc. and he asked if I'd like some! Of course I said yes and he asked how much did I want. ! I just wanted enough to spin and knit me a little something, and his new little granddaughter a little something.
Well no more was said, and I kind of forgot about the conversation, until this summer his wife, Grandma came for a visit, and brought in her suitcase FOUR KMart size bags full!!!!!!
I got about half of it teased, and one bag carded, when I was told at another family gathering that what she brought is only HALF---Grandpa will be bringing the rest when he comes in December!!!!! What should I make and send as a thank You? Should it be from the camel, or should I weave something from my friend 's alpaca?

·
Registered
17,961 Posts
Oh Donna said:
Oh my gosh....camel. I have a tale--my husband's younger cousin recently married a sweet young lady from Mongolia.. Her parents came here for a visit---they don't speak English, but at a family gathering, with she serving as interpreter, I had a "discussion" with her Dad---it seems some of the family in Mongolia raises camels, and I asked about the wool, what's it like, etc. and he asked if I'd like some! Of course I said yes and he asked how much did I want. ! I just wanted enough to spin and knit me a little something, and his new little granddaughter a little something.
Well no more was said, and I kind of forgot about the conversation, until this summer his wife, Grandma came for a visit, and brought in her suitcase FOUR KMart size bags full!!!!!!
I got about half of it teased, and one bag carded, when I was told at another family gathering that what she brought is only HALF---Grandpa will be bringing the rest when he comes in December!!!!! What should I make and send as a thank You? Should it be from the camel, or should I weave something from my friend 's alpaca?
I would say something typically American, something that he cannot get in Mongolia, something that he can brag about and say "Look what I have and others do not have". You will probably have to really quiz the young lady from Mongolia and see if she knows anything that he would love that is typically American and he cannot get in Mongolia. It is often amazing what people admire in other cultures.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
Oh Donna said:
How wonderful for you. I think some made from the camel would be very nice.

·
Registered
9,617 Posts
wordancer said:
What. I founf out last year, is that there is a certain breed(s) of sheep that actually shed their coats over a short time frame. Thus allowing the coat to be spun right off the sheep. I think it would be less traumatic than shearing.
That is so neat. Amazing everything there is to learn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom