Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, who here has spun qiviut? I was told to possibly blend it together with a fine micron wool. What kind of sheep has 15-16 microns fleece?? I just bought 40gr.

How thick/thin did you spin it? I spun it once but that was many years ago and it has some guardhairs in it, so it came out sort of fluffy.

What is the best way to knit with it? Scarf or shawl? What ever I do I would like to make two of. One for each niece.

Thanks bunches for any information you all can give me.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Blended with silk, it's like holding a handful of whipped cream! I spun it very, very fine as both silk and quiviut are very warm. I plied it 2-ply for a lace weight and knitted it as a lace shawl on size two needles. The pattern was Mediterranean Lace in A Gathering of Lace. It's like wearing a cloud! And it's warm, really warm!

·
Registered
17,873 Posts
katrapp said:
Hi all, who here has spun qiviut? I was told to possibly blend it together with a fine micron wool. What kind of sheep has 15-16 microns fleece?? I just bought 40gr.

How thick/thin did you spin it? I spun it once but that was many years ago and it has some guardhairs in it, so it came out sort of fluffy.

What is the best way to knit with it? Scarf or shawl? What ever I do I would like to make two of. One for each niece.

Thanks bunches for any information you all can give me.
Ultra fine Merino wool has a very low micron count.

Here is a link to etsy. They have both the spun wool and rovings for sale if you spin your own wool

https://www.etsy.com/au/market/14_micron_wool
14 micron wool

Here is an interesting article about a farmer in Eastern Australia who had wool with an even lower micron count - 9.9 micron fleece in 2017 and in 2015 with a 10.1 micron fleece. They farm at St Helens in south-west Victoria and last week sold 22 bales of paddock-grown 13.3-14.8 micron fleece wool through Landmark Jackson of Geelong, with most making 1500-1600c/kg greasy. The oddments were sold late last year.

Ultrafine wool price lifts, but more needed to promote production

https://www.sheepcentral.com/ultrafine-wool-price-lifts-but-more-needed-to-promote-production/

The Rowbottoms have won the prestigious Ermenegildo Zegna Vellus Aureum wool award for the past three years, winning the competition last year with a 9.9 micron fleece and in 2015 with a 10.1 micron fleece.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your reply Linda6885. I really appreciate it. I am going to be doing some experimenting spinning yak/silk and camel/silk. But am leaning towards the merino.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom