Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright. I am new to spinning and excited to get started. I got my wool yesterday, and I got two very informative books from the library. One book suggests starting to learn by twisting (rolling) the yarn on your leg, the other in your fingers. Not a problem. I can do it either way, and understand the concept.

My question is, how do you keep the twist in the yarn once it gets long enough that you can't hold onto the beginning end anymore?

I had about a six inch length and let go of it so I could draft some more, and the part I had twisted just came untwisted. I tried twisting more and tighter, but no deal.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Erin

·
Registered
12,210 Posts
I am by no means an expert, but have gotton pretty good on a drop spindle, and have been plying on a large turkish drop spindle. Are you using a spindle or just twisting with you fingers? With a spindle you hold on to the fiber so the twist can't unwind, while you wind it on to the shaft of your spindle. You leave about 4 inches or so out so you can spin more, which is usually about a yard at a time, unless you like to stand while spinning. If you are twisting with you fingers and learning to draft, You hold on to the yarn you just spun so that the twist can't come out, and wind it on your fingers. Some wind it like a figure eight or butterfly between you fingers, secure and spin some more. You can secure it with a paperclip if you need to. When you have spun enough yardage, you 'set' the twist. Wind it into hanks, secure in three or four places, wet, or wash, blot out excess water, hang to dry. Watch some videos on youtube. They are wonderful to help you learn.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The twist will not stay in the yarn when you turn it loose. If you are not using a spindle to drop and twist then you will have to wind the yarn onto something - a ball, a papertowel tube - something to hold it while you draft and then spin the next length. Sounds like you want to learn to park and draft.

If you haven't made a spindle you can use an old CD and dowel to make one. Then you use park and draft and wind the yarn onto your dowel. Check out you tube for Abby Forequ????? She has some great help.

I love spinning. I knew it was terminal when I look at dryer lint and wondered what kind of yarn it would make. And what I could blend with it to give it some strength. I may need an intervention, huh?

Glad to see some spinners on this board. Good luck
wtchgrl said:
Alright. I am new to spinning and excited to get started. I got my wool yesterday, and I got two very informative books from the library. One book suggests starting to learn by twisting (rolling) the yarn on your leg, the other in your fingers. Not a problem. I can do it either way, and understand the concept.

My question is, how do you keep the twist in the yarn once it gets long enough that you can't hold onto the beginning end anymore?

I had about a six inch length and let go of it so I could draft some more, and the part I had twisted just came untwisted. I tried twisting more and tighter, but no deal.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Erin

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Rather than learn to draft first, get or make a drop spindle and buy some 'pencil rovings'. these are very narrow continuous lengths of fibre,which you need not draft, just spin. once you have the hang of this, then go on to drafting a slightly thicker roving. Don't try to draft directly from tops or rovings until you are proficient. You can make 'thinner' roving by separating the fibres down the length of the roving. I find that this is the most effective way of teaching my students to spin on a spindle. Good luck and enjoy (and start saving for a wheel as yu'll soon be hooked!!!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom