Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, finally i got my lk 150 studio knitting machine which i think was bad deal though lol as i got it for a bit over 200$ plus shipping and few days later on another website one sold for 116 plus shipping .anyways now i want to replace the sponge bar as it is completely deteriorating, i keep looking to get one online but it seems more for metal bed with adhesives, plus i watched vedioes for Roberta Rose Kelly changing sponge bar for lk 150 And another for kx 350 and suggested the weather seal strip ? I know these are much less expensive in home depot but which one to use? I mean for thickness and lenghth ? Another DIY Suggested foam from Joaan's craft store but which density low or high ?
One last thing is that the machine me ght travel overseas and its lenghth in box is not allowed , i know you can take it off pieces but how yo wrap to keep safe any tips?
Thank you for your help always

·
Banned
16,047 Posts
deemail said:
it's really up to you, I rebuild all of mine with weatherstripping...just make sure to measure well...the weatherstripping comes in several widths...
How about you making a topic for those interested here (me too!), with photos on "How to re-make a sponge bar!". Such "tips & tricks" would be very interesting I feel.

I am sure that many here would be especially interested in saving money with using weather strip.... :sm24: :sm24: :sm24: :sm24:

Just a thought!

Andy

·
Registered
429 Posts
The lk150 does not have a metal bar on the sponge bar. It's just the stripping. You will need to remove all of the needles to replace it, not hard but time consuming.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GrammaAnn said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sponge-Strip-Bar-All-Gauge-Silver-Reed-Singer-Studio-Empisal-Knitting-machines-/111451703636

I ordered this one - works perfectly, reasonably priced and no worry I have the wrong one. :sm01: Ann
Yes i saved this one my watch list but still asking about weatherstripping , have you ever tried ? Thx

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
sofa_lolo said:
Yes i saved this one my watch list but still asking about weatherstripping , have you ever tried ? Thx
I tried it (once) years ago.
I measured and was able to buy a good quality, closed cell, foam weatherstrip that was the exact width so it installed nicely. It did not last very long and for the time it takes to install a new strip I didn't feel it was worth messing with again. There might be better quality weatherstrip now but for the difference in price I am not going to mess around with it again. My machines are worth too much to be using substandard foam strips in them and the foam is too important to the quality of the knitting.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I have an LK 100 and had to change the sponge bar a while back and I didn't remove all the needles. I took out the old one by sliding it off, which was easy because it was very thin. I put the new one by pushing it through under the needles. Less time consumer than taking out and putting back the needles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have changed the sponge on LK150 and Brother 350 by tying a ravel cord to the old sponge and pulling it out and tying the cord to the new one and pulling it through. As long as it is tied very close to the end it is no problem. Ravel cord seems to be strong enough. Just make sure the machine is on such an angle that the needles don't fall out. Take off the end plates and it is no problem. 10 minutes tops.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
I have been replacing sponge bars and sponge strips using weather seal for years with very good results. I wrote an article on this subject many, many years ago and have recently updated the information. If you are interested in the article, PM me. Please bear in mind that I live in the USA and the products I specify are locally available, I am not sure of equivalents in other countries.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
Personally, I'd never put weather stripping in a machine. I know lots of people do, with okay results, but as someone who has had to clean up the mess where the weather stripping basically melted in the channel making it extremely difficult to get the sponge bar out, then clean the channel (days and days of frustrating work), I would never put it in my LK-150.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alan.codyre said:
I have changed the sponge on LK150 and Brother 350 by tying a ravel cord to the old sponge and pulling it out and tying the cord to the new one and pulling it through. As long as it is tied very close to the end it is no problem. Ravel cord seems to be strong enough. Just make sure the machine is on such an angle that the needles don't fall out. Take off the end plates and it is no problem. 10 minutes tops.
Thank you for this great tip it looks easier than removing all needles

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
randiejg said:
Personally, I'd never put weather stripping in a machine. I know lots of people do, with okay results, but as someone who has had to clean up the mess where the weather stripping basically melted in the channel making it extremely difficult to get the sponge bar out, then clean the channel (days and days of frustrating work), I would never put it in my LK-150.
Personally im very new to knitting machines . So that is why i ask for advice thank you

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I use the Knitting Closet for all my metal bar needs, and just got a new sponge strip for my KX390 Convertible plastic bed machine from spongebar.com. Will be installing this weekend. It's the right width and is long enough.

One I ordered on Etsy, was too wide and too short by at least 4-5 inches. The 390 has 220 (4.5mm) or 110 (9mm) needles so the bed is much longer than many plastic bed machines. Both places had super quick shipping. Great folks.

Now to find needles for the 390! They seem a tad smaller than my HK100 needles and much smaller than my Brother 890. standard gauge 4.5mm.

Marge

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
randiejg said:
I agree. The secret is NOT to put the weather stripping raw into the machine. If you would like, PM for more info.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
der_fisherman said:
How about you making a topic for those interested here (me too!), with photos on "How to re-make a sponge bar!". Such "tips & tricks" would be very interesting I feel.

I am sure that many here would be especially interested in saving money with using weather strip.... :sm24: :sm24: :sm24: :sm24:

Just a thought!

Andy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06MmooHAkZ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0z1f-lwD2M

there are many others on youtube, as well...

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Well, that didn't work. The new sponge strip from spongebar.com is the right width and the right length. But it's way too thick. And the foam is not at all dense or medium firm. Maybe I bought the wrong one, but it's the only one listed on their site for the Brother 390.

Son had to take all the metal plates off the bottom and it still was a struggle to get it through. Dunno what I'm going to do now. Have to think on it. Couldn't get any of the needles to go in. The sponge is in the way, no matter what I try. Latches open, angled from back toward front, no go. Sigh. I've put needles in and out of that machine for years and it just doesn't work.

The Etsy one I still have around here somewhere, is too short, although it does seem a wee bit firmer. May put that one in the central portion.

Marge

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom