Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we are in the last few days of winter and we had severe frosts overnight. Cold but sunny today with blue skies. I am noticing that the birds are coming back and this morning, sitting with a cup of tea and eating breakfast in the lounge - we have a birdbath visible through the lounge window. Several sulphur crested cockatoos drinking this morning and a king parrot. Two days ago, we had 3 king parrots sitting on the eaves over the lounge window. I also saw a flush of crimson rosellas fly up from across the road at my neighbours place - something must have startled them. He puts food out for them. On a bush walk with the dog last week we saw a pair of spotted pardalotes. They are small like a finch in size but very pretty, having gold/yellow on them and black cap with white spots and same pattern on the wing area. Very colourful little bird. Of course the female is dull in colour in comparison, probably so she is well disguised when sitting on the nest. I did not have my camera at the ready this morning to capture these birds but I can show you photos of examples or previous shots so you can see what I am talking about. We are blessed to have so many pretty birds in this country (Australia). The daffodils and narcissus are also up and locally some cherry blossom trees are in bloom. Pretty pinks. I looked for a photo of the King parrot this morning and must have deleted it as could not find it anywhere. They are deep green with lighter green bars on the shoulder and orange/red head breast and underparts. Very striking. Unluckily for my DH as these are the colours he cannot distinguish as he is colour blind red/green and shades thereof, so they probably just look brown to him!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
crafterwantabe said:
Wow, beautiful birds!!!!!
They are. The only photo that I took is the first one. The others images are from internet just to give you a look at what I am talking about.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Puppies101 said:
Beautiful birds. Here we are going into fall and darn it all anyway the geese are back and starting to fly south, it's waaaayyyyy too early.
Weather patterns are all messed up with climate change. My flowering quince just started the flower buds opening and it started to go back into leaf again, it is all confused. I need to prune it when the flowers die off but now I feel awful as will be pruning off all the new growth! Have to take about one third off of it so that it will come back stronger. At the moment, the flowers seem to come in all at the lower parts of the plant rather than all through it. Pruning should help with that going forward. It has grown a lot compared to how big it was when planted, barley 12 inches high then, it has reached about 5 feet (five times the original height) since planting three years or so ago. If you want to see the passage of time, you need only look at a garden. Ours was barren bush land when we moved here some 5 years ago, dangerous trees too close to the house which are now gone, and noxious weeds everywhere. A lot of hard work and it is now taking shape and some plants growing, mostly natives. Also growing vegies. The seasons are pronounced here in the mountains whereas in Sydney the temperatures don't get as cold in winter and autumn is not as spectacular as most of the trees there are not deciduous (leaf shedding in autumn). They do get the beautiful Jacaranda trees in Spring though and also the Coral trees in Winter. It is all a trade off really.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Parschwab said:
your birds are beautiful. I find odd to see "pet" birds in the wild. (cockatoo) It would be nice to enjoy them in thier natural habitat.
Yes, I find it hard too now since living in Australia some twenty plus years. Even a caged budgie seems sad when you see them in flocks in the outback.They move as one, like a swarm of bees to outwit predatory birds from picking them off. Much harder for a hawk to single one out and kill for food when they move in a large swirl as one. Same way I guess that small fish move together in the ocean to keep them safe. Power in numbers! That makes it seem all the more sad to see a single bird in a cage as it is not natural to them. I guess that home raised chicks would not know any other way though.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Parschwab said:
your birds are beautiful. I find odd to see "pet" birds in the wild. (cockatoo) It would be nice to enjoy them in thier natural habitat.
My DH won't have any 'pet' that you need to cage. He says if you need to cage it then it is not wanting to be with you if it had a choice. Different for dogs and cats that have been domesticated for so many years and rely on humans for food and shelter now. I used to have a pair of Lovebirds in the UK but would not do it now, having seen how birds should live in the wild. Seems too cruel. Sorry for anyone who keeps pet birds, just my own opinion. Also used to have gerbils a hamster, pet rabbits when we were kids. DH won't have a bar of it. I have also recently changed my opinion of zoos, circus or anywhere that has caged animals for human entertainment or companionship. Just seems all wrong to me now.

·
Registered
9,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
damemary said:
Australia has spectacular birds. Thanks for sharing.
I think the US does too. Don't you get those scarlet red cardinals? We don't get them here! They are just so pretty! Also hummingbirds? No hummingbirds here.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I am not sure. that pet birds would not survive. I don't remember the location but it seams that this happened in El Paso, Texas. Some of the residents of the tiwn reported seeing a flock of green parrots. They are not native to the state nor to the desert. Officials did not take them serious. But the sightings persisted . I am not sure if any "bird" authorities ever saw them, but, they speculated that someone let their pet loose or it escaped , and joined up with another and they became a flock over time ( mostly a breeding pair). I would have liked to have learned what became of this sighting or if it was even true.

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
Beautiful pics of the birds... We always have the same birds visit us year round. They have learnt where to find food, our cat bowls by the back door.
First the Magpie's come and help themselves to the cat biscuits, then the Currawong baby from last year... Then the Pee Wees come... We also get lots of King parrots in one of our trees... Lately the magpies have become demanding. They want grated cheese also when we give our chooks a handful in the mornings... We love to watch the birds... We even get the huge black cockatoos occasionally these days, ever since the Canberra bushfires in '03, when much of their habitat was destroyed... I've never seen the 3rd bird in your pics around our parts.

I'm very pleased that Spring is almost here.... :sm01: :sm01: :sm01:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom