Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the pattern link again - https://www.premieryarns.com/products/madelyn-cardigan

I liked the looks of this sweater the minute I saw the pattern. Plus my granddaughter's name is Madelyn, spelled the same way as the pattern spelled it and she'll get a kick out of that. I want to make one for Maddy and 3 more - 1 for her Mom, one for her Aunt and one for me. I think we should all have a Madelyn sweater. But this pattern has errors and I'm not sure if earlier errors are causing more things to be off. At any rate, when you add that to my knitting ignorance, this is just not going too well. So please, any and all advice is very welcome and totally appreciated. Hoping to get everyone's input so I can continue because I've run into a brick wall on this AGAIN

I am attempting to work both fronts at the same time BUT.......

I made it through neck shaping doing the mirror image. Now I'm befuddled about the shoulder shaping. Pattern, page 2, says to end neck shaping with a WS row for both left and right sides. Next is the first row for shoulder shaping. Both sides say to bind off 13 stitches. Then for the right front shoulder it says to purl to the end of the row, knit the next row, etc. It's not a mirror image of the right shoulder shaping and I'm not sure what to do because the binding off can't come first on the left front. I don't really know how to ask the right question but if you look at the pattern I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

:sm06:

·
Registered
31,217 Posts
I checked the pattern on Ravelry and there wasn't any discussion of any errata. Just one person had logged on that she had made the sweater. It is a really nice cardi.

It looks as if you should bind off the 13 stitches at the armhole side working toward the neck on each side of the front.
That would start the binding off on the knit side of the left front
and start the binding off on the purl side of the right side of the front.
Then continue to the neck and on the left side purl back to where you ended the bind off, turn, and bind off the rest of the stitches again going toward the neck.
On the right side knit back to where you ended the bind off and turn bind off the rest of the stitches going toward the neck.

I hope breaking it down in sections of what to do is helpful to you. When I get a sort of complicated pattern like that I rewrite it in line by line sections to make it easier to follow.

Casey47 said:
Here is the pattern link again - https://www.premieryarns.com/products/madelyn-cardigan

I liked the looks of this sweater the minute I saw the pattern. Plus my granddaughter's name is Madelyn, spelled the same way as the pattern spelled it and she'll get a kick out of that. I want to make one for Maddy and 3 more - 1 for her Mom, one for her Aunt and one for me. I think we should all have a Madelyn sweater. But this pattern has errors and I'm not sure if earlier errors are causing more things to be off. At any rate, when you add that to my knitting ignorance, this is just not going too well. So please, any and all advice is very welcome and totally appreciated. Hoping to get everyone's input so I can continue because I've run into a brick wall on this AGAIN

I am attempting to work both fronts at the same time BUT.......

I made it through neck shaping doing the mirror image. Now I'm befuddled about the shoulder shaping. Pattern, page 2, says to end neck shaping with a WS row for both left and right sides. Next is the first row for shoulder shaping. Both sides say to bind off 13 stitches. Then for the right front shoulder it says to purl to the end of the row, knit the next row, etc. It's not a mirror image of the right shoulder shaping and I'm not sure what to do because the binding off can't come first on the left front. I don't really know how to ask the right question but if you look at the pattern I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

:sm06:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
There is no usual way to make the left and right front as exact mirror images. The normal way to bind off shoulders starts at the beginning of a row, so one side will be 1 row higher than the other. You could bind off at the beginning of the first edge on piece 1, then bind off at the end of row for the second piece, but then you would need to cut your yarn.
I suggest that you trust the pattern instructions, because that 1 row difference won’t be noticed.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To knittedfrog: I was concerned about one side being short a row. So I'll do as you suggest. Thank you. As to the pattern, for both sides they say to end with a WS row before you do shoulder shaping and both sides bind off on the RS of the work edge, according to the pattern. If you did this you would be binding off on the armhole edge of one side and front center edge of the other. Anyway, thank you so much. If I ever get to sweater #4 I should be relaxed about all of this!

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MarilynKnits said:
I checked the pattern on Ravelry and there wasn't any discussion of any errata. Just one person had logged on that she had made the sweater. It is a really nice cardi.

It looks as if you should bind off the 13 stitches at the armhole side working toward the neck on each side of the front.
That would start the binding off on the knit side of the left front
and start the binding off on the purl side of the right side of the front.
Then continue to the neck and on the left side purl back to where you ended the bind off, turn, and bind off the rest of the stitches again going toward the neck.
On the right side knit back to where you ended the bind off and turn bind off the rest of the stitches going toward the neck.

I hope breaking it down in sections of what to do is helpful to you. When I get a sort of complicated pattern like that I rewrite it in line by line sections to make it easier to follow.
Thank you so much. I am breaking it down (not knitting yet) and rewriting it. That's why I'm having issues with the pattern and running into things I haven't experienced before. I am so thankful for KP and the chance to learn things. There are so many little things that come up (for me at least). There are pattern errors but those of you with more experience probably don't even notice them. For example, Left Shoulder has dec row and purl, says to repeat those 2 rows 1 more time, and do one more dec row. That's 5 rows, decreasing 3 sts. But on Right Shoulder they left out the purl row. Then it says to do a dec row, one purl row and repeat the last 2 rows 3 times - that's 8 rows and 4 dec. I wonder if I'll ever be confident enough to skim over that kind of stuff and know what I should do. Anyway, these answers are great and I can keep going on my re-write. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
knittedfrog said:
I admire your determination and creativity. I am also happy that you have a forum where you can find your answers. You'll definitely get to sweater #4!
Thank you for the kind words! I've learned more from this forum in the few years I've been on it than I have in a lifetime of trying to figure stuff out from books. The forum is also very stimulating and inspiring. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom