Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been knitting for many years and am used to using straight needles. I count rows when needed using one of those round stitch counter on the end of the needle. I am about to start a project using circular needles and was wondering how folks count the rows and stitches when there is no "end". Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I found a small chain from a key chain and threaded it though the round counter, then I used it as my marker (I was knitting in the round). It took a little getting use to, but it worked. I have also used the round counter on my circular needles when I was knitting back and forth on circular needles. You just have to watch that the counter doesn't slip off.

Charity Knitter

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I either use paper to mark rows as I finish them or use a hand held stitch marker. If there is any kind of pattern repeat I find paper easier to keep track of where I am. I also use sticky notes attached to the pattern. It all depends on what I'm knitting.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. My original thought was to use the round stitch counter and attach it to the work with a safety pin/stitch holder. I guess there is no specific knitting "tool" for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
12,965 Posts
Charity Knitter said:
I found a small chain from a key chain and threaded it though the round counter, then I used it as my marker (I was knitting in the round). It took a little getting use to, but it worked. I have also used the round counter on my circular needles when I was knitting back and forth on circular needles. You just have to watch that the counter doesn't slip off.

Charity Knitter
I just said to somebody yesterday that I needed to invent a combination stitch marker/row counter! Looks like you've already done that! Guess I can check it off my list. Now I've got to go find one of those chain thingies... ;)

·
Premium Member
12,965 Posts
lenorehf said:
Thanks for the suggestions. My original thought was to use the round stitch counter and attach it to the work with a safety pin/stitch holder. I guess there is no specific knitting "tool" for this purpose.
I attach a row counter to the front of my work with a stitch holder sometimes. I've also heard of people putting their row counters on a necklace or a long loop of yarn to wear around their neck so it is always handy.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I recently did a lace shawl. Lots of rows to count. So, I put a stitch counter cylinder on a necklace and hung it around my neck. So when starting a new row, just change the number. When you get get to row 100, then I put a (1) on my paper pattern and start over with 1.

It works for me and can put the necklace in with my yarn when I put it away. Always have to lock it up. Kittums, just loves yarn and needles.

Knittykitty - TX

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
TammyK said:
lenorehf said:
I attach a row counter to the front of my work with a stitch holder sometimes. I've also heard of people putting their row counters on a necklace or a long loop of yarn to wear around their neck so it is always handy.
Hi TammyK
I love the idea of putting a row counter on a necklace. I am going to look out for a suitable row counter and necklace to wear when I am with my knitting friends and see what they say about it. Maybe this could be a new 'trend' for knitters. It could be another way of meeting other knitters when we are out and about if it was a suitable row counter to wear 'out'. lol :-D

Anyway, TammyK, I love your idea.

Love Jenny xxxx :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
a friend of mine gave me two patterns (which I can't find right now) to make her a row counter for her knitting. It was easy to make. I took 10 of the large (8 or 9 mm) jump rings and linked them together and then put 10 beads on a wire with a charm on one end and attached the other end with a small loop to the end of the 10 rings. Then I sewed a small set of beads togehter on elastic cord so I could slide these along the beads. Each bead represents one set of ten rows; each ring represents a row. As you circular knit and get to the end/beginning of the next row, just move your needle to the next ring and when you get to the last ring, move it back to the first and drop your beaded ring down a bead on the other side. I hope that makes sense. It works well and I've made several with different charms to go with the personality of the recipient.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ladies,
When I am sitting in the old recliner, I use straight pins with fancy heads and when I get to the next row, I take a pin and put it in the other arm of the chair. Sounds kind of simple but it works for me.
Wanda/Queenmawmaw

·
Registered
707 Posts
I used to have the best row, stitch and pattern counter. It was on a small board and had pegs that you could move along as you proceeded with pattern. My Pups got a hold of it years ago and have been unable to locate or find another one. It was the best! I currently use the clicker type, or as others have said, a piece of paper and pencil/pen to keep track. Still on the lookout for the one I had years ago......

1 - 20 of 140 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom