Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Looks to me like:

Garter for the cuffs and bottom edge
Seed or Moss Stitch for the body and sleeves
Sleeves look square set
Some sort of 2together+M1 for the diagonals across a Stockinette backround in the upper section
A deep PickUp&Knit Button Band/collar in a wide rib or possibly a slip stitch rib

Hope this helps :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
tjb2 said:
Hi, it's cool outside and I would like to make this little cardigan. have no pattern and I do not like to buy it either as I already buying the wool and it is for charity.
Please, can anyone identify this stitch (small)?

Any help is much appreciated

tjb2
Looks like garter stitch at the bottom.
Then purl one row, K1, P1 next row, these 2 rows repeated.
The collar and front is done in rib but the single rib is knit into the stitch below or slipped one side and knit the other.
The top part is knitted with a traveling slip stitch.

One of those things you are going to have to try out to see if you can copy it. Nice cardy so worth the time if you have it.
:p

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
AnjiCat said:
Looks to me like:

Garter for the cuffs and bottom edge
Seed or Moss Stitch for the body and sleeves
Sleeves look square set
Some sort of 2together+M1 for the diagonals across a Stockinette backround in the upper section
A deep PickUp&Knit Button Band/collar in a wide rib or possibly a slip stitch rib

Hope this helps :mrgreen:
I agree, it looks like the Moss stitch more than the Rice stitch.
I suggest you look on line at both stitches or try a sample swatch first.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I'm doing the Yoke around the top of my current socks:
You decide how far apart you want the 'stripes' to be - mine are 10 sts, so my patt spirals like this:
K8 P2
On the next round (or row) there will be K9 P2.
That moves the P2 set over by one st.

You continue across the rows by Knitting the first Purl St, Purl the next P st and continue through the next batch of Knit sts to the next stripe and repeat.
Pic on next page - - - -

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
rkr said:
I'm doing the Yoke around the top of my current socks:
You decide how far apart you want the 'stripes' to be - mine are 10 sts, so my patt spirals like this:
K8 P2
On the next round (or row) there will be K9 P2.
That moves the P2 set over by one st.

You continue across the rows by Knitting the first Purl St, Purl the next P st and continue through the next batch of Knit sts to the next stripe and repeat.
Pic on next page - - - -
Are these heelless socks? It sounds like the spiral socks I used to make in my teens (away back in thirties). I still have that vintage pattern book.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
No, I have been using Cat Bordhi's "Personal Footprints for Insouciant Knitter's" technique' (based on measurements of everyone's foot at a few critical points and a cardboard cutout of the drawn sole, for the past year.
This is just the leg section above the ankle. The marker let me know that I'm half-way finished to the top!

I do have some vintage patt books, (I had forgotten about that Spiral Heelless sock!) ppl were smaller then, but the patterned parts of the garments are priceless and easily transitioned into other garments now! My favorite era is the 40s, when I was a child.

Now that I look at the sock and the cardigan, the sts do look a little different. The cardi top st is a Knit st carried on top of the spiral, by knitting 2 tog and M! beside it. That wouldn't have as much stretch as this does, which is why I used this combination on the leg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom