Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your best bet is to do some kind of border. I usually do 4 rows of moss stitch, and the first 4/ last 4 stitches after that in moss stitch. You could also do ribbing, or garter stitch, although garter stitch up the sides tends to be shorter than stocking stitch, so it can bunch a little bit.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
If you want to use a border as Jennifer suggested, try a seed stitch border. That tends to match the stockingette gauge better. You could also get creative an use the curl as decoration. I made a shawl recently on my machine( curls really badly on that) I used the curl on purpose for accent. I reversed about one inch on each side of the shawl, had the front and back of the stockingette stitch opposite, so the edges would curl toward the right side of the body. The ends were a lace pattern, that curls less also. I usually steam block any straight stockingette pieces I do. I like to make afghans using large blocks that I knit on my machine. I crochet one row around the edge and steam the whole thing after I sew them together. Just play with it , til you find something you like that works.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi there,

First you need a border always with a stockinette stitch, or it will curl up. If you're making a sweater you need a band or a ribbing, scarf will need some variation stitch as well. Additionally I NEVER knit the first stitch on every row but merely slip it, this also will prevent curling.
I have been knitting and crocheting for over 50 yrs. so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm saying. Hope this all works for you.

My best,
Jan

·
Registered
20 Posts
I swear I will never do another straight piece in stockinette again! I just knitted my 10th wrist band for girls in a hospital (where our soon to be adopted grandson was born). I've attached a picture of it and I couldn't even uncurl it with the scanner. The ones with patterns that involve different stitches are fine. But the ones with more than one color, I needed to do stockinette and they curled. I knit the first and last stitch of each row but I think next time I will make it more like 4. meanwhile, I was thinking of picking up and knitting a border of maybe 2 rows, garter. Has anyone tried this with any success? I was thinking of making the border like a raspberry color to distract from the curl, otherwise, I'll stick with the off white. Any other ideas will be welcome. I just want to finish these and get them to the hospital. Next step is to needle felt about 20 buttons and sew them on. It's so fast knitting a wristband, so slow finishing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
Stockinet stitch rolls.

You can put a border or an edge on it, but usually what happens is that it rolls above the border or edge.

You can try blocking it, and it will probably roll a little less. There are a few things you can do to make it roll a little less. But it will still roll.

Stitches that have the same number of knits and purls don't roll. If it's all knit on one side and all purl on the other, it rolls.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
kjames724 said:
My stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row) always rolls up. How can I fix this? I tried pressing one of the scarves, but wasn't very happy with the results.
You have learned a very common lesson when knitting, Stocking Stitch always rolls when not stitched to another piece of knitting.
When you are making a garment, you stitch the seams together so the problem goes away.
When making a scarf, you are always better off to work a stitch that is the same both sides such as a rib or basket weave pattern.
If you really want the look of Stocking Stitch, make it wider and when it rolls, stitch it into a tube and you will have a very snug scarf.
Hope this helps.
Have fun.
Colleen

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
On new stitch a day, Johnny demonstrated Austrian long tail cast on. He claims this method of cast on makes a firmer edge that will not roll with stockinette stitch. Check out new stitch a day.com, type in Austrian long tail cast on for instructions and video.
kjames724 said:
My stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row) always rolls up. How can I fix this? I tried pressing one of the scarves, but wasn't very happy with the results.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom