Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ladies and gents!!

I have heard a lot of discussions on the harmony circular needles but don't recall anything about their straight ones. My question is has anyone ever used the laminated birch ones(the only one they seem to sell) and have you any troubles with them. I am looking into getting a set of "GOOD" straight knitting needles at a great price and I am wondering about these ones. I am wondering if they are anything like the bamboo ones> I find some of them so difficult and they warp. I don't want to spend good $$$ on something that I am going to hate !!
Any help would be most welcome!!

:)

·
Registered
514 Posts
I have Harmony circs, and I love them when I want wood, but the #4 broke, so perhaps consider them in slightly larger, stronger sizes.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a whole set of Harmony straights and love them.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I Have one size 11 straights. I would rather work with the circulars when possible. I also have a set of dpns from Harmony that I love. They seem so delicate, but Ihave made 4 pairs of socks so far and I love them. Why don't you try a pair in the size you use most often to try them out?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have size 7 and 8 straight plus double pointed harmony and love them. Their point is sharper than my bamboo. Fixing to order size 6 for making stockings since I prefer using them over circulars. I primarily use my harmony circulars so am quite picky. These are good buy.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
stubbynose-I have a full set of Harmony straights and I love them. I am a wood needle knitter and I use my Harmonies as well as my Lantern Moon ebonies, my Bryspun rosewoods, and my Montana Mountain Exotics (bloodwood and cocoabolo). I have had no problems with the Harmony straights. They are smooth, well balanced, and have a nice tip. I would recommend them to amyone.

·
Registered
814 Posts
stubbynose said:
Hey ladies and gents!!

I have heard a lot of discussions on the harmony circular needles but don't recall anything about their straight ones. My question is has anyone ever used the laminated birch ones(the only one they seem to sell) and have you any troubles with them. I am looking into getting a set of "GOOD" straight knitting needles at a great price and I am wondering about these ones. I am wondering if they are anything like the bamboo ones> I find some of them so difficult and they warp. I don't want to spend good $$$ on something that I am going to hate !!
Any help would be most welcome!!

I am an enthusiastic Harmony wood circular needle user. Love them! I ordered one pair of straights and they have the same lovely finish, color and points. I didn't use them long as I am most comfortable with circs (arthritic wrists) and like the weight of what I am knitting in my lap. Love my Harmonies!!
:)

·
Registered
12,955 Posts
Hi, I have an "AWSOME" straight pair of Metal needles from WEBBS, Knitters Pride. I bought the set and size 0, 1, 2, and 3. The points are Wonderful and could easily be compared to the Addi's (sp) in my opinion. They work well with lace patterns and any type of yarn so far. I would highly recommend them, and their customer service is wonderful as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have some interchangeable Harmony circulars but i can't seem to keep them fastened properly; what am I doing wrong? Not tightening them enough? I did get some laminated wood dpns since I needed more of size 1-1/2. I have broken sizes 2, 1-1/2, 1, and 0 Brittany Birch needles, though they are still my favorites.

·
Registered
600 Posts
You know it is just a matter of preference. I love my baboo needles for the slick silky kind of yarns that has a tendency to slide off metal needles but love my Harmony's for the regular yarns. If well taken care of your needles should not warp. I find that there is a needle for every yarn. For $20.00 Knit Picks has a try me set with a wood, metal and acrylic needle set so you can see which one you like the best before you make a $$$ investment. I can tell you I own the Harmony Interchangable, straight and DPNs and have yet to be disappointed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a full set of harmony straights in the 14" length and I love them. I also have a full set of Signature in the stilletto point in the 10" length and I love them also. I switch back and forth depending upon the type of yarn I'm using and how many stitches are going to be on the needle. I do find when I use the 14" length I have to sit in the middle of the couch or on a chair that doesn't have arms otherwise the needles always hit the sides of the chair.

I also have the dpns but I find them to be rather delicate so I only use the larger size ones. I'm afraid I'll break the 2's, 3's and 4's.

I also have the harmony circulars and love those when using a smaller cable. I still find the larger cables a bit of a problem, i.e. 60" length particularly.

As you can tell, I absolutely love the Harmony's, they feel wonderful in the hand, and the yarn slides but not so much as to fall off the needles. These needles and the signature needles are the only type I ever want to buy.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I only have the double points in the Harmony Straights. The rest are the circular. I use the double points like straights at times by just putting a point protector on the ends and knitting. I don't like longer needles so just use the double points as my straights. And they work great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom