Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Sorry, need to get it off my mind. I'm knitting a jumper for my wonderful elderly neighbours husband. He's suffering with ill health and seems to be spending more and more time in hospital. My neighbour (who is a dear friend) provided the pattern and the yarn and said she would pay me for doing it but I won't accept payment from such a dear friend. My problem is it's taking me so long to do. Its knitted with DK, on 3.75mm needles, the back was st-st which I've done and almost completed the first sleeve which has a single cable running through it. The front also has a couple of single cables running through it. The pattern isn't difficult for me to do, but it's becoming so time consuming. I really want to get it finished for them but feel guilty because it feels like it's becoming a chore. Adding to this, I'm also trying to get a shawl finished for my friends new baby, thats approx 1/3rd finished. I don't mind having several wips on the go, but these 2 seem to be taking so long to finish.

Sorry for having a bit of a moan, but just needed to get it off my mind. Taking time out tomorrow afternoon though, going bargain hunting in charity/thrift shops, so maybe the break will do me good.

Shel x

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What a huge undertaking, I feel your pain, Sounds like You are in need of a break, I am positive they will understand.
Why don't you knit or crochet up something small like a pair of baby mitts or a hat, then go back to it.
BTW
What a great idea to vent on here, Sometimes just writing it down and sending it out there is therapy enough. ((Huggs))

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
If you are knitting something for an elderly person who is spending more and more time in hospital, I would finish this, because maybe one of these times they will not come home and you will probably feel really bad, the baby can wait. Good of you to do the sweater for him. I'm sure he will appreciate it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
This brings to mind an old saying 'the faster I go, the behinder I get'. I think the situation is adding more stress to you, like Debbystitchknit mentioned. You want to get it done in a hurry because you might be afraid he will pass before you can get it done. It is a very big project and can be overwhelming. I would set a reasonable daily goal of doing a certain number of rows. If you end up doing more then you will feel much better about your progress. Just a thought!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
You can only do what you can do and in the time that it takes. Do not feel guilty, period! People who ask a friend to knit some thing for them are asking a lot! They have no right to complain if they don't get it timely.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I think when we knit what we want when we want it's enjoyable but if it's something that someone requested it puts pressure on you and then it's not enjoyable but a task. If I am making something and I want to get it done it takes a toll on me.. I get kinks in my neck and aches in my back, because I tense up so I can hurry up. I'm a slow knitter and like to knit for enjoyment, just don't give be a deadline. I knit a couple of panels for the Knit the Bridge in Pittsburgh and I was afraid I wouldn't get them done in time so I knit on them constantly and hated it.
I'm sure that your friend is in no hurry, but I understand why you want the sweater done.

·
Registered
684 Posts
How many hours do you estimate it would take you to finish? Could you set aside a whole day just to knit? If you don't get it done before he has chance to wear it you will be mortified,I think you need to knuckle down and get it done. Promise yourself a treat a the end of it. The baby shawl can wait.

Hope that doesn't sound too harsh but I find I need sometimes to give myself a stiff talking to when there is a job needs doing that I don't want to do.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Two suggestions.
- "pay" somebody to finish it maybe by trading services i.e. cooking.
- Chunking the time. allocate for each day before your personal deadline x number of hours (even only one) you will spend working on it. The feeling you get from this is that you are working out your problem but at a reasonable pace. it really fools the mind.

·
Registered
969 Posts
What a wonderful thing you are doing for your neighbors, Shel01! It sounds as if you are getting close to finishing the sweater. I hope sharing your frustration and the encouraging response from others who understand has helped. I agree with the others who would finish the sweater as quickly as possible and not worry about the baby's gift for now. Best wishes to you, and also to your neighbors and your friends with the new baby.

·
Registered
499 Posts
jobailey said:
You can only do what you can do and in the time that it takes. Do not feel guilty, period! People who ask a friend to knit some thing for them are asking a lot! They have no right to complain if they don't get it timely.
I agree with you wholeheartedly . I was asked to make my GD a sweater by her other grandmother, and as much as I love her it became a nightmare. I didn't want to do it and then it was a troublesome pattern !
It so much more pleasurable when it is your own idea!😉😉

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes, custom handknitting takes a long time. That is why it is so special.

Maybe you need one of those little labels that says something like "This took forever to knit". Just kidding, but I saw them on a website and was tempted to get them. Especially for a complicated sweater I made for a best friend, and when I went to put the pieces together, found a huge error in the pattern and they didn't fit. I know how to fix it, but lost heart.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I feel your pain. I have some items that I have promised to people and I go through such stress whenever I - look at the part I have already finished - or think of how much I still have to do.
Double edge sword. Keep us informed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom