Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I dusted off my Studio Chunky Knitter and decided to give it another shot. I purchased it about five years ago with the idea that I would make felted purses. I became frustrated with the setting up, jamming and lack of time and put it in the closet. I pulled it out yesterday and it works fine, except for a few dropped stitches on the side. (I'm becoming more patient in my old age.)

It is not fancy, and doesn't have a ribber, but it does knit worsted and chunky yarns. Any hints on other projects to make using this type of machine?

·
Registered
9,694 Posts
Hi mjanette,
Chunky knits are in and you have the right gauge machine for them. I like to look at www.ravelry.com for ideas, they also have machine knit items on that site.
I knit this HK wrap on my bulky recently;
http://media.knittingfever.com/kfi/catalog/pattern/pdf/120913/KFL5.pdf
It's an easy square with a cable pattern in the middle.
You can view youtube videos on techniques as well as a few cute projects like the childs v neck raglan for beginners or the circular baby afghan. Scroll down on this site;
http://diananatters.blogspot.com/
The knitter uses brother machines so if you want to knit shortrows for example you just engage your russell levers...
Don't forget to check your sponge bar and needles before threading up.
Have fun and let us know how you're doing.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
as Kate mentioned, check your sponge bar. It has probably lost its tallness and usability since last time. It might need to be replaced.

Also you will need to dust off/vacuum the machine and then lubricate it to make it knit more smoothly. I use the oil lightly on the bed rail and front edge and possibly on the underside of the carriage where the needle butts slide through. It makes the actual knitting go more smoothly.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a Studio 150 chunky knitter. I too just brought my knitter out after a long time not knitting. I have been making hats, but now I think I will start making "house shoes" for Christmas gifts. I have had some difficulty finding info on this particular machine, but can use other "bulky" patterns. Maybe we can keep in touch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cynthia, what borders do you recommend for afghans, that will help with the curl. I know everyone asks this question. but since you have made so many, was wondering if you had any tips or tricks to help ease the curl. THanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your ideas and encouragement! I will keep you posted as to how I do. I will check the sponge bar etc. to make sure it moves smoothly.

I love You Tube for their tutorials. I will take a look at the links you provided.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom