Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to learn continental. Do you always put the yarn around counter-clockwise? It seems on some videos they are doing it clockwise and this would be easier for me on the knit stitch.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
I knit continental and tried knitting wrapping the yarn the other way around, and the stitches came out twisted on the needle which will screw you up for the next row/round.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
There is a style called combined continental (which is what I do) where the knitted stitches are oriented differently on the needles than the purled stitches. The knit stitch is done the conventional way, but the purl is wrapped differently. It does require some adjustments in some patterns (especially with decreases), but I think it's so much more efficient. If you're interested, here's a video on how to do the purl:

·
Premium Member
81,338 Posts
jumbleburt said:
There is a style called combined continental (which is what I do) where the knitted stitches are oriented differently on the needles than the purled stitches. The knit stitch is done the conventional way, but the purl is wrapped differently. It does require some adjustments in some patterns (especially with decreases), but I think it's so much more efficient. If you're interested, here's a video on how to do the purl:

:thumbup:

TAKE NOTE: THERE ARE NO STUPID QUESTIONS, BUT THE ONES UNASKED!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I would think that if you wrap the yarn around the needle the same way for knit and purl stitches, you would not twist them.
Or you could look into combination, as was mentioned in a previous post.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
nancy11442 said:
Thank you Jessica Jean! How kind of you. We who are newer knitters do feel stupid at times. Thanks for reassurance
No need to feel stupid, I learnt to knit (only the basics) as a child (40 yrs ago). Didn't do it for many years, but the basics quickly came back to me but I've learnt so much since joining KP xxx

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
Practice makes perfect; we hope. Doing the continental, once you get the hang of it, is really very easy, especially the knit stitch. Purling can be a problem so some of us use the "Norwegian" purling method when doing the continental. Check on youtube for Norwegian purling and watch the videos. The yarn is kept in the back of the work, not the front when purling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom