Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have directions for a child's hat that calls for Lion Suede yarn; it has been discontinued. The amount called for is only 1 skein of 2-3 different colors. Rather than search for such a small amount, I like to find a yarn to substitute. The gauge is 12 sts + 19 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch using size 9 needles. Any suggestions, please?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I enjoy the process of trying different yarns for items I am wanting to make. I knit swatches and see how I like it! . The thickness of the yarn would be an issue, is the yarn recommended 4 ply? If so, any 4 ply would suffice. I just started a crocheted loop pillow cover that called for chunky yarn. Instead, I used three strands of 4 ply. It looks great! Be adventurous and try something you have on hand, you may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
It's funny you should ask that. If I see a pattern that I like, I just pick a yarn that I like and would like to make something with, trying to determine if the pattern would look good in the color.. not necessarily the yarn called for.. and just go for it. Everything that I have done to date has turned out just great.. Granted, I have not tried to make anything where gauge is critical. I am not that brave yet..That and I really don't get gauge yet. It is not making a lick of sense to me. I have watched countless video's on determining gauge.. but nothing is making sense to me yet. I am sure it will click eventually. It always does..

My next project is going to be a wrap that calls for alpaca, and I am going to do it with wool, but it won't be alpaca..I guess I will see what happens when I am done with it. I know me well enough to know that if it doesn't look right early on, I will unravel it and find another type of yarn to try. Here's hoping that it looks great.. :)

I do want to add some beading to it, and I tried to find the video on KnitPicks about adding beading to knitted works, but it is not available any longer, so does someone happen to have instructions or better yet a video about this? If so, would you please share? Thank you!

Linda

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom