Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some lovely merino/silk fingerling and some mohair that matches in a taupe. I knitted the shawl Perseverance by Barbara Benson. Perseverance pattern by Barbara Benson It is an asymmetrical shawl. I am so disappointed in it now that it is finished. It is so small (yes I matched gauge) that it is basically a scarf for me. Perhaps on someone small and slender it would work but I am 6foot tall and have broad shoulders and a 72in wingspan. Does anyone have an idea of what type of shawl I could knit that would actually fit me? My shoulders are 20 in across. I really want to make a shawl but this is my second try at one and I just can't seem to manage to find one that actually will go around my shoulders and be a shawl not a scarf. What shape would be better for me to use? I plan on frogging this one (not looking forward to all that mohair frogging but it does come out). The yarn cost too much to donate or toss. I have two balls of each so plenty for almost any shawl but I am tired of guessing wrong. I like a simple type design that I can just toss on to go to lunch or dinner (our restaurants are cold).
Or does anyone have an idea of how I can possibly add to this one to make it larger. I love the way it looks and the pattern but the shape is all wrong for me. I spent over three months knitting it and hate to pull it out. Ideas??? It started with the tip and got wider on a bias. Eyelets are on top and bottom of shawl.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
My best suggestion is to check out Ravelry for Dee O’Keefe’s beautiful shawl designs. I have knitted a few and love the way they turned out. Also Dee gives instructions on how to increase the shawl size. Jen.
Ravelry

·
Super Moderator
82,750 Posts
I have some lovely merino/silk fingerling and some mohair that matches in a taupe. I knitted the shawl Perseverance by Barbara Benson. Perseverance pattern by Barbara Benson It is an asymmetrical shawl. I am so disappointed in it now that it is finished. It is so small (yes I matched gauge) that it is basically a scarf for me. Perhaps on someone small and slender it would work but I am 6foot tall and have broad shoulders and a 72in wingspan. Does anyone have an idea of what type of shawl I could knit that would actually fit me? My shoulders are 20 in across. I really want to make a shawl but this is my second try at one and I just can't seem to manage to find one that actually will go around my shoulders and be a shawl not a scarf. What shape would be better for me to use? I plan on frogging this one (not looking forward to all that mohair frogging but it does come out). The yarn cost too much to donate or toss. I have two balls of each so plenty for almost any shawl but I am tired of guessing wrong. I like a simple type design that I can just toss on to go to lunch or dinner (our restaurants are cold).
Or does anyone have an idea of how I can possibly add to this one to make it larger. I love the way it looks and the pattern but the shape is all wrong for me. I spent over three months knitting it and hate to pull it out. Ideas??? It started with the tip and got wider on a bias. Eyelets are on top and bottom of shawl.
IF you have more yarn, it could be continued to be larger.
I’m also 6’ tall with matching wingspan. Sadly, my weight is about 225 lbs.
I make and wear shawls all the time, except in the muggy days of summer. I do not have the flair for wearing asymmetrical shawls, though I have made a few.
Maybe a prowl through the patterns I have knit will give you some ideas? Most of them can be made larger, depending on yarn supply.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12,781 Posts
ABS. This shawl increases quicker than almost all others. It is designed with 6 increases every 2 rows so it makes a dramatically wider than deep triangle. You can increase indefinitely though it is called a kerchief it is a shawl. You can knit in other lace patterns or just increase the existing k2tog, yo row more frequently.
Personally I find all asymmetric triangles awkward to wear as shawls unless they are so deep they are awkward to wear due to how deep they are. They make good scarves.
I have another favorite that is a half circle but it calls for worsted weight yarn.
This is a pet peeve of mine. There are so many beautifully designed patterns, most of them, that are useless to wear. The wingspan is too narrow not to require securing with pins and having to fiddle with all the time or the depth is such you sit on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Make the Icelandic shawl. It’s easy. To knit and you can keep going till it’s bigger. Best wishes, Rose

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have made 3 Shawls by Stephen West and they are large Shawls. Check out his patterns.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I do not care for asymmetrical shawls. They seem to be nice fashion accents but are just not practical.

How about something simple in a triangle shape that can be increased until it is the size you want or need?

Maybe like the one a member does for the dialysis center? Hers are large and can be changed by starting with a point or casting on more for a rounded bottom. The number of edge increases and how often they are done will build the width.

Good luck. It is certainly frustrating to spend so much time and not finish with what you wanted.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh ladies, how wonderful you are. I thank each and every one of you for your time and suggestions. Looks like it is into the frog pond for my shawl for sure (and since the mohair and merino/silk yarns were held together not going to be fun) but now I have a better idea of shawls that should work for me. No more asymmetrical ones. I had thought since the designer of the one I did was a larger woman that she would make a design I could wear but sadly no. This is only my second shawl (other was a rectangle) so I am new at what to look for and after looking at the different ideas you have sent hopefully the next incarnation of my beautiful yarn will be more useful. (Thanks JJ and I weigh a lot more than you do, lol.) It is nice to get advice from someone who understands the difficulties of being larger than the "average" tiny little person. Jen, thanks I will check out Dee O'Keefe's designs, and Steven West's and if you let me know what an Icelandic shawl is, Rose, I will check that one too. I was so depressed yesterday when I pulled my shawl off the needles and it was just awful, you ladies and your kindness is just what I needed.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
I tend to gravitate toward rectangle shawls as I am not tall (okay I am short, 5 feet) and on the chubby side so the triangle and asymmetrical ones just don't look good or fit me. At least with the rectangle ones I can make them as long as I need to go around me. Let us know what you decide to do - would love to see pictures!

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
I'm niether tall nor broad of shoulder, so I have the opposite of your problem. Most shawls looked like I was wearing a bedspread. So, you need to find what fits you best and can be customized in length or width. I prefer a crecent shape shawl, works for me, and I can stop shorter than the pattern calls for. Maybe try a rectangular shaped shawl/stole. You could make it as long and as wide as you like. Good luck, I hope you find what works for you...

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

·
Super Moderator
82,750 Posts
Check out the Faroese (sp) shawls, they have a center back section as well as two wings. You would be able to adapt the sections to your body style.
sorry you are visiting the frog pond though.
More importantly, real Faroese style shawls have shaped shoulders, just like a sweater. It’s that shoulder shaping that allows them to stay in place while the wearer moves around.

Orange Sleeve T-shirt Wood Tints and shades

That shaping is why this shawl canNOT be flat. There’s extra fabric to allow for shoulders.

·
Registered
158,640 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top Bottom