Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
82,750 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The Faroe shawls look very interesting to me. I also love the design in the Costa. Hmmm looks like I have some great ideas here.
Regarding rectangular shawls, yes, I do make those and they work well but I was wanting to try something else, but that was a good idea.
I think either a Faroe or a crescent with longer wings may be what I need. Don't know if they will work with the fine yarn I had in the other shawl, but I have a room stuffed full of yarn and surely can find another one to use. JJ loved your pattern but it isn't available anymore so I just bought the one below.
I think I will try the Faroe first. Just purchased this pattern Fundamentally Faroese Shawl #3 pattern by Cheryl Oberle It is supposed to be an instructional pattern on Faroe... Will post when it is done... and with a cast on of over 300 stitches it will be a while, especially since I have to wedge it between my knitting for my needlecraft club shop (lots of baby sweaters, booties, hats. toys and blankets. I always have several things going at once, keeps my brain busy. It is just shawls that have been driving me crazy - to find one that will fit nicely and yet be able to be wadded up and shoved into my purse when I go back outside (in FL you put on a shawl inside and take it off outside).

·
Registered
158,642 Posts

·
Registered
158,642 Posts
The Faroe shawls look very interesting to me. I also love the design in the Costa. Hmmm looks like I have some great ideas here.
Regarding rectangular shawls, yes, I do make those and they work well but I was wanting to try something else, but that was a good idea.
I think either a Faroe or a crescent with longer wings may be what I need. Don't know if they will work with the fine yarn I had in the other shawl, but I have a room stuffed full of yarn and surely can find another one to use. JJ loved your pattern but it isn't available anymore so I just bought the one below.
I think I will try the Faroe first. Just purchased this pattern Fundamentally Faroese Shawl #3 pattern by Cheryl Oberle It is supposed to be an instructional pattern on Faroe... Will post when it is done... and with a cast on of over 300 stitches it will be a while, especially since I have to wedge it between my knitting for my needlecraft club shop (lots of baby sweaters, booties, hats. toys and blankets. I always have several things going at once, keeps my brain busy. It is just shawls that have been driving me crazy - to find one that will fit nicely and yet be able to be wadded up and shoved into my purse when I go back outside (in FL you put on a shawl inside and take it off outside).
Good choice. It you really like it you may fancy it up with additional lace designs.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
To date, I have shied away from bottom-up patterns, because there’s no easy way to lengthen them. Working top-down allows one to just keep going until long enough or run out of yarn.
I understand, it measures plenty big enough 72 x 26, and if I need more there is always the possibility of adding a border design...Wish the pattern you showed was available but no luck, on any of her designs, and I went all the way to interweave the original publisher,
Since I want to insert the eyelet design from my original shawl rather than hers, I do know where it could be added to if needed. My problem with the original was even if I added to it all it did was get weirder.
I do need to check my yardage before I try it...maybe will do it in a cheaper yarn. The shawl I need to frog was very expensive yarn and I don't want to frog the mohair more than once. This pattern is supposed to be a "teaching" pattern and I sure need teaching on shawls.
You all have given me so much to think about...I did also hear from the designer of my original shawl and her only idea was to remove the final border and add rows - if i did that it would wrap around me over and over and still be a scarf. No more asymmetrical for this grandma..

·
Super Moderator
82,750 Posts
I understand, it measures plenty big enough 72 x 26, and if I need more there is always the possibility of adding a border design...Wish the pattern you showed was available but no luck, on any of her designs, and I went all the way to interweave the original publisher,
Since I want to insert the eyelet design from my original shawl rather than hers, I do know where it could be added to if needed. My problem with the original was even if I added to it all it did was get weirder.
I do need to check my yardage before I try it...maybe will do it in a cheaper yarn. The shawl I need to frog was very expensive yarn and I don't want to frog the mohair more than once. This pattern is supposed to be a "teaching" pattern and I sure need teaching on shawls.
You all have given me so much to think about...I did also hear from the designer of my original shawl and her only idea was to remove the final border and add rows - if i did that it would wrap around me over and over and still be a scarf. No more asymmetrical for this grandma..
I have to laugh at your mention of trying first in a cheaper yarn. 😊 That’s what got me to first try the lacy white shawl with some odd balls of Lustersheen! It was ‘fun’ driving to all the Walmarts within thirty miles to scoop up their remaining stocks of it!!! My husband helped, but not very willingly. 🫤 I love the result, but have yet to make it in a ‘good’ yarn. 😈

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Top Bottom