Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend knits 30 hats/caps each year for her niece who teaches grade school. She is not an expert and needs something fast. She has done regular stocking caps (rib at bottom, st st for main part, spaced decreases for smooth top) and a sideways cap (ends are seamed and the top pulled in from 4 points and fastened, then pom added). She would like something different this year. Yes, I know I can spend hours running through Ravelry looking but I don't have those hours and I do not expect you to spend hours researching this. I know some of you have found something that is fast, cute, girl/boy, that would be great for this. Don't think she is ready for cables or much of a pattern. Can any of you suggest something done in worsted weight?

·
Registered
18,232 Posts
She could do a faux cable.... 4 stitches, 2 rows ... sounds more complicated than it is.... the following is for in-the-round
Row 1: *(p1, insert right needle tbl of the 2nd stitch on the left needle and knit, but don't try to take the stitch off of the right needle, then knit the first stitch on the Right needle and drop both off of the right needle), p1)*
Row 2: knit

Row 1 can be written as (p1, RT, k1, p1) where RT is the long written part above. And once you've done it a couple of times it is pretty brainless.

You could also look at knitting fool for any stitch pattern that has 4 stitches and 4 or less rows.... like broken rib, waffle stitch, etc.

As long as she's working with a multiple of 4 stitches she can essentially follow the regular stocking cap pattern she's used and just do the smooth top/ crown decreases she is used to.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
There's a cute Pokemon Pokeball beanie pattern around If she doesn't crochet perhaps someone will crochet the 'eye' circles for her.

Sorry I don't have the pattern but someone posted a photo here on KP not long ago.

·
Registered
15,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so very much for the responses! knit4ES, I love the cable idea-- don't know if she will try it or not but it would be easy. LizR, she can't crochet but good idea. Jersgran, that rib pattern is just great-- I was thinking about doing something like that but I didn't want to have to write the pattern! So thanks again.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There is a Waffle Hat on Ravelry which is a simple pattern. It looks interesting and is super stretchy, can be used for a boy or girl. I have made it with a variety of weights of yarn and just change the number of stitches (multiple of 4) to cast on.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
I make hats for Dear Daughter's grade school class. My go-to pattern is http://www.purplekittyyarns.com/Knitted-Hat-Patternsae.html
That gives me the size of the hat, the number of sts around and number of inches deep. I've easily converted it to knitting in the round, because I prefer it.

I use 80 sts around, so I look for stitch patterns with a multiple of four, or ten. I like to use stitch dictionaries for ideas. I have some favorite links, and I collect lots from Ravelry. Cable and mock cable are fun. I make about five more hats than there are kids in the class, and then I have them choose. The remaining hats give me an idea of the least popular choices. I think they do not like cables as much as I do.

The easiest, fastest way is to make the hats with all stockinette stitch. That makes a roll brim, and that looks OK. Next easiest is to do a *K2 P2* ribbing, on a multiple of 4 stitches. THEN, on the stockinette part, be creative with stripes. If you start with three different colored skeins of yarn, make stripes of the three colors. Maybe two rows/rounds of each color, then three rows/rounds of each color, or stripes of different widths. That way, each hat will be different. The kids will be able to pick out their own hat in the coatroom or on the playground. You can use two colors, of the nearby high school or college. Or pro sports team. Or red, white, and blue. (Sorry, I didn't check what country you live in.)

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
I like K2,P2 band and the faux cable. Is so easy and looks so great. But a straight knit with a great tapered crown is always classic. Start it out with a K2,P2 or K1,P1 band and use colors.

·
Registered
10,971 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
yourmother306 said:
I've been making hats like this. These were made with chunky yarns.
But, you can adjust your hat pattern easily.
Garter stitch instead of ribbing, then stockinette stitch.
Easy peasy.
Love these hats. And using garter stitch instead of ribbing is a favorite of mine right now. She could do her usual hats but use several different colors on each hat to give them a different look. What a great idea for a teacher to do. Good for her!

·
Registered
15,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Many, many thanks to all of you who gave me your favorite patterns! Surely my friend can pick something she likes but that is a bit different from the last couple years. I've printed off a few so she can choose but also because I want to start doing some charity work and think hats might be the thing for this year. Again, I really appreciate your help on this. And, just so you know, a new knitter sent me a PM to say she was watching this and noting patterns. So you really helped 3 of us!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom