Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a little over two months ago, we moved to Oregon to be closer to my grandparents--give them a chance to be grandparents, and give our son positive roll models.

Last weekend I went over to their house for dinner and afterward my grandmother taught me to crochet! I hadn't yet attempted to teach myself, so we got a lovely grandmother/granddaughter experience, and now so many more pattern possibilities have opened up! Woohoo!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
missjawz said:
So, a little over two months ago, we moved to Oregon to be closer to my grandparents--give them a chance to be grandparents, and give our son positive roll models.

Last weekend I went over to their house for dinner and afterward my grandmother taught me to crochet! I hadn't yet attempted to teach myself, so we got a lovely grandmother/granddaughter experience, and now so many more pattern possibilities have opened up! Woohoo!
Welcome to Oregon, I love Coos Bay, lived in Gold Beach for several years before moving to the Portland area, and Coos Bay was, at the time, where the doctor and all the real shopping was done.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
missjawz said:

A suggestion---while you're crocheting with grandmother, have her tell you some family stories/history. She'll love being able to share reminiscences, and you'll be richer than you'll ever imagine having gleaned such a wealth of information. I have no one to share my memories with, and the beautiful jewels of family that came from my mother and grandmother will sadly be forever gone, but for a journal that I occasionally recall a scrap in here and there, and even that will die with me and my computer.

·
Premium Member
81,040 Posts
Norma B. said:
A suggestion---while you're crocheting with grandmother, have her tell you some family stories/history. She'll love being able to share reminiscences, and you'll be richer than you'll ever imagine having gleaned such a wealth of information. I have no one to share my memories with, and the beautiful jewels of family that came from my mother and grandmother will sadly be forever gone, but for a journal that I occasionally recall a scrap in here and there, and even that will die with me and my computer.
Norma B.'s 100% right! You're so lucky to still have any family member older than you (and with an intact memory!) whose stories you can capture! Record them! Save them for your own kids/neices/nephews! Plumb the depths of her memories!

My own mother had a year-and-a-half of slowly dying (from lung cancer, of course), but she would not share any of the family stories with us! She of the neverending conversations ceased smoking and ceased conversing upon diagnosis.

Our kids have decided not to have children, so our memories will die with us. They want nothing we have, so our possessions will go to Goodwill or the landfill. (Yes, my knitting paraphernalia will go to other knitters - not landfill nor Goodwill.)

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I agree, share stories. Had my #6 GD stay last night, was having nightmares. Had to hop into bed with her,she said tell me about when you were a little girl. She was amazed we didn't have a car or tv until i was about 15. When i told her you left a note on porch for baker and milkman and he delivered them. She said that is so cool you didn't have to go to shop. When i told her postman rode a bicycle and he blew a whistle to tell you, you had mail. She ended up yakking for an hour or more and that was the end of my knitting for night

·
Premium Member
81,040 Posts
skinny minnie said:
I agree, share stories. Had my #6 GD stay last night, was having nightmares. Had to hop into bed with her,she said tell me about when you were a little girl. She was amazed we didn't have a car or tv until i was about 15. When i told her you left a note on porch for baker and milkman and he delivered them. She said that is so cool you didn't have to go to shop. When i told her postman rode a bicycle and he blew a whistle to tell you, you had mail. She ended up yakking for an hour or more and that was the end of my knitting for night
:thumbup: :thumbup: :-D :-D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
skinny minnie said:
But what a wonderful night for you both. It's those memories I miss being able to share with anyone, though I occasionally throw something out to my good friends about my grandmother's honest-to-God ice box, and the iceman bringing 25 lb cakes of ice in with big black iron tongs, carried on his shoulder which was protected by a leather cape sort of thing. Or when they lived in the country and had two horses, a cow, and no electricity or running water in the house which was often three rooms and a path. Or about seeing huge fleets of B-17 bombers flying over our house during WWII. Or the farmer who brought us OMG unpasturized milk when I was a tot. (How did we survive?) My progeny don't want to have anything to do with me now that I've lost their entire inheritance, let alone know anything about my family. Their loss. (Talk about rambling!)

·
Registered
390 Posts
This seems so mad because I was saying to my son and daughter in law on Thursday how much I would love time with my granma now and would be able to ask her all the things that I never thought important when I was young. I still say a lot of her old sayings when they are needed!! She taught me to knit and sew, If only we could go back in time!!!
Norma B. said:
skinny minnie said:
But what a wonderful night for you both. It's those memories I miss being able to share with anyone, though I occasionally throw something out to my good friends about my grandmother's honest-to-God ice box, and the iceman bringing 25 lb cakes of ice in with big black iron tongs, carried on his shoulder which was protected by a leather cape sort of thing. Or when they lived in the country and had two horses, a cow, and no electricity or running water in the house which was often three rooms and a path. Or about seeing huge fleets of B-17 bombers flying over our house during WWII. Or the farmer who brought us OMG unpasturized milk when I was a tot. (How did we survive?) My progeny don't want to have anything to do with me now that I've lost their entire inheritance, let alone know anything about my family. Their loss. (Talk about rambling!)
:roll: :roll:

·
Registered
189 Posts
A lot of us, who have moved to Alaska, understand about not having family around, so what many of us do, is to try to make friends, and let them become family. Maybe something like that might appeal to you, Norma B. I also recall old times, with coal being delivered through basement windows, on coal shutes, and some cars had little whirling fans, pointing at you, from up by the mirror. The seats were cloth, as was the ceiling. I liked the good old days :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
What a wonderful experience for you. I never had a grandmother. One died before I was born and the other was bedridden and died when I was six. Because I've always wanted a grandmother, I try to be the best one I can be to my six grandkids. I taught 3 of them to knit...all teenage boys! I hope their memories of spending time with me are as great as my memories are.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Jessica-Jean said:
skinny minnie said:
:thumbup: :thumbup: :-D :-D
We were looking for mushrooms in the mountain several years ago and my hubbies uncle (now gone) showed us the trail the mailman used to use while riding his horse to deliver mail!! Wow....we shared with our kids.
V

·
Registered
11 Posts
thank you for the leaf pattern, just went to the website and printed it out. Looking forward to trying them.

earlier I saw the cutest white rabbit from one of you and sent a message asking about the pattern, but sent it to the wrong person. sorry. but still love that rabbit!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom