Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the pursuit of Navy yarn for knitting a vest, I'm having no luck. I read an article today about Superwash Wool and how it is so soft that it loses the "woolly" look and feel that one would prefer. Most wool is too scratchy for my skin and so I'm not aware of any particularly suitable yarn choices.

Has anyone worked with superwash wool that could possibly recommend a suitable choice. My main concern is scratchiness or overheating issues. I work at an inside office, interacting with many people and don't want to sweat in wool or scratch myself raw (you understand if you have this issue).

Any tips on what yarns to use would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,865 Posts
I like superwash. However my favorite yarn is anything that Malabrigo makes. It is so soft, both when working with it & wearing it. I haven't seen any superwash Malabrigo but that doesn't mean that there isn't any.

·
Registered
18,401 Posts
MrsB said:
In the pursuit of Navy yarn for knitting a vest, I'm having no luck. I read an article today about Superwash Wool and how it is so soft that it loses the "woolly" look and feel that one would prefer. Most wool is too scratchy for my skin and so I'm not aware of any particularly suitable yarn choices.

Has anyone worked with superwash wool that could possibly recommend a suitable choice. My main concern is scratchiness or overheating issues. I work at an inside office, interacting with many people and don't want to sweat in wool or scratch myself raw (you understand if you have this issue).

I like Lion Brand Wool Ease
Wool acrylic blend. Warm, soft and washable.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Cascade and Universal have several lines of superwash wool that are just yummy! I've made a few items with both in same project and the result is soft and easy on the fingers! Whether you want DK, Worsted or Bulky, they all look great!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
The only superwash wool I'm familiar with is Cascade 220 & it's very soft. I have knit many baby items with this yarn & yes you do have to throw it in the dryer till it's almost dry & then pat into shape. I love this yarn...so many pretty colors also.

·
Registered
23,309 Posts
MrsB said:

Not all superwash wool is created equal... some is scratchy some not... I would suggest a superwash wool that contains some bamboo for soft feel.

·
Registered
9,165 Posts
Go to your local yarn shops and play around with superwash wools. Some are better than others in texture and feel. I always run the yarn over my upper lip or under my chin to see how yarn feels. And do you want worsted weight, Sport weight, DK weight, Fingering weight? So many decisions, so little time. And why make a vest? Make a shawlette which will just drape over your shoulders. This will keep you warm without you becoming too warm. The Autumn Shawl Wrap that is posted in today's KP (08/12/16) issue under the heading Links and Resources is free and very lovely[ilikeknitting.com]. Check it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom