Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I`m slowly getting my KM back to working. My question is can I use surgical spirit to clean it before I oil it ? If not then please what can I use instead thank you in advance ann

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have been reading up on cleaning a knitting machine as I have just bought a "pig in a poke" as they say here in the south. I bought a knitking machine with no information at all, but the price was too good to pass up. I'm sure it will need a good cleaning for starters. Is the spirits referred to the kind of alcohol I can buy at the drug store? I know that when this machine gets here I am going to need lots of help. I am so thankful I found such knowledgable people to talk to. I just hope that it will be something salvageable. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Schnauzermom said:
I have been reading up on cleaning a knitting machine as I have just bought a "pig in a poke" as they say here in the south. I bought a knitking machine with no information at all, but the price was too good to pass up. I'm sure it will need a good cleaning for starters. Is the spirits referred to the kind of alcohol I can buy at the drug store? I know that when this machine gets here I am going to need lots of help. I am so thankful I found such knowledgable people to talk to. I just hope that it will be something salvageable. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Welcome to the forum! Yes, surgical spirit (UK) is the same as rubbing alcohol in the US.

It is alright to use rubbing alcohol on stainless steel area of the knitting machine. Avoid using any type of alcohol on plastic and rubber areas.

I normally apply oil in a cloth lightly and wipe it over the metal after cleaning. It helps to prevent rust if you leave in a humidity climate as I am. It also help the carriage to run by smoothly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom