Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the new row counter by Susan Bates.
They consist of small wire rings and numbered beads from 0 thru 9.
I picked on up at Joann's today and I am trying to figure out how to use it.
HELP?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I think the rings would be your marker, and the beads represent your rows. So when you are finished with row one, you move the ring so it is under the number 1 bead. If there is a second set of beads, that would represent your "tens" column. So when you finish row 9, you move the single counter to above the 1 and place a ring under the first bead on the second string, which represents 10. Then you finish the next row, move the first marker to below the one again. And you see that you have a marker under 1 on the first set and under 1 on the "tens" set, so you just finished row 11.

When you finish row 20, you move the 9 marker on the first set to above the 1, and them move the "tens" marker to below the 2 - so you know you just finished row 20,

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
Just looking at the picture, I think it will just count what row you are on, from row 1 - 10. So if you're doing a pattern stitch that repeats 5 rows, you'd put the first ring before the #1 bead to show you are on row 1. When you do row 2, slide the 2nd ring nex to #2 bead on the needle. repeat thru #5. Then start over with the first ring at the #1 bead.

I think you can also use it for row counts higher then 10. Use the clasp on the end and hook it into the first ring to indicate you have completed rows 1-10, and then use the rings as above to show youi are on rows 11-20. :?

·
Registered
21,445 Posts
mirl56 said:
http://www.shopredheart.com/default.aspx?PageID=62&ProductID=6681&ItemID=11370&CategoryID=123&RootCatCode=04000
is this it?

doesn't it come with directions?
Directions from another chain counter are:

Knitting Chain Row Counter: for needles sizes 0 to 4. This chain hangs from your needle as you work, counting rows as you transfer the chain between needles at the start of each row. Your hand never needs to leave your work and the counting is virtually automatic while counting up to 200 rows.

It appears that it is used similar to a marker, in that you slip the numbered ring from one needle to the other needle as you begin/end a row.

·
Registered
73 Posts
my favorite row counter is the fish. fold a piece of yarn, end to end. tie a knot at the top, the head, makes a loop, that is first row. make a lot of knots with the hole is large enough for the needles and move it to next hole as you go around, tells you how many rows. very handy.cannot loose count of your rows.

·
Registered
13,668 Posts
I think I will just use my old one. I have it on a long piece of yarn and wear it around my neck. This makes it easy to get use and I don't have to worry where I put it (I'm always loosing things).

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I love my row counters.....it came with 3 seperate sizes with the holes in the middle from small on up to fit on your needle, just turn to another number on the dial when you have finished the row......they are so easy, have had them for years and can't remember where i got them, but most likely Michael's....went there long before there was a JoAnn's around us at the time. I would take the other counter back and buy something simplier....sounds like too much for me......

·
Registered
737 Posts
I make my own especially for cable repeats it works well. take a piece of scrap yarn (contrasting to the color you are using), fold it in half and knot it for the amount of rows you want to count. ex: 9 knots will produce 10 openings and you can do 10 row repeats for more than ten or use a longer yarn and more knots. Anyway, just put the opening around your needle at the beginning and advance it one opening each time you come to it. Thats it! you make one up anytime you need it and it does work very well for repeats I will try to add a picture.

Attachments

·
Banned
13,778 Posts
Neeterbug said:
I think I will just use my old one. I have it on a long piece of yarn and wear it around my neck. This makes it easy to get use and I don't have to worry where I put it (I'm always loosing things).
Yeah, and the BEST part about being a ditzy blonde is that you wear it around your neck like Neeterbug, then waltz out of the house with your "jewelry"on... Very glamorous! lol. I am quite sure it's only me that does this! ;)

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
I have one, here is what I do. I use the ring as a marker in my knitting, you start out on the one, when you get to it again and move to the other needles, change to the two, now when you have done 10 row, or if you are tracking decreases or increases and you are ready to do one, take that little bead at the bottom (it comes off with a clip) and I added a little stitch marker safety pin to the bead to make is easy to move, take it and clip it on the one, now you know you have done 10 rows, or one increase, whatever you are tracking. When you get to where you have done the next 10 or next increase, move the bead to the two.
So at a glance the bead tells you how many of what ever you are tracking you have done, either row (20 if on the 2) or increases. I think there is a little design flaw, the little bead should come loose and have the connector attached to it, but I just make my own with a tiny safety pin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom