Knitting and Crochet Forum banner
  • Wondering how to use different site features? Please visit our FAQ. Still have questions? Post to our Community Help section for a speedy response.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
In my experience this is almost impossible to do, since even when it appears successful, the sweater returns to its original size shortly thereafter. I think the best approach might be to undo the seams, if there are any, and resew them several stitches in. You can then trim the extra bulk from the seam, since the sewing will prevent the stitches from unraveling.

·
Registered
23,691 Posts
I think you should knit up a swatch if you have enough yarn left over... I would try a few different things..
Maybe use extra hot water to block it with, or finess it to the smaller shape while its wet and leave it to dry.. I don't know if that would work but its supose to work the opposit way.. so its worth a try.. if the sweater is seamed you could just seam it again.. but realize that if you take up a stitch on each side then you are taking up 4 stitches.. so it may be just enough to get it to work..
How did I come up with 4 stitches? side A and B are seamed together.. 1 stitch from A and 1 from B thats 2 and then the other side equals 4... that could add up to a full inch depending on your guage..

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
No, the action that causes shrinkage and felting is agitation, you could put it in the washer for a short period after you've drawn a schematic for it to the size it should be to gauge the sweater against as it's washed. Don't let it go too long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top Bottom